Home built hiller

/ Home built hiller
Are you referring to Ginormous? I cant answer for him but I plan on welding my front (main) tool bar to the 3pt hitch assy also it will be a lot easier than building brackets and drilling holes etc. I may use spreader bars and add a second tool bar later that will be all bolt on but I plan on doing pretty close to what he did if that answers your question? (I do follow your train of thought btw but its not how I intended to do this one fwtw)

/ Home built hiller #32  
sorry about that, I got caught in the middle of thought and had to cut it short. What we did on a one row I-H was build the 3rd point hitch with clamps for the tool bar.That way we just mounted diff tools on separate tool bars with simple pipe stands to hold them upright when unhitched.It acts like a quick hitch, you drive away from one setup and back into the next with only installing the clamps. No more manhandling tools or needing a tape measure to put shanks or sweeps back in the right spaceing. It is much easier to slide a tool bar into a heavy tool than it is to slide a heavy tool onto a tool bar. Second thought was his welds look to be profesional so don't think I was badmouthing his work, but, without heat treating the bar after welding the weakest point on the bar is just outside the weld. If you were to hook a rock or some other immoveable object you could end up with a bent or broken bar. Then it's back to the drawing board. We had everthing from plow to planters to cultivators set up like this and could change tools in under 10 min.

/ Home built hiller #33  
What type of toolbar clamps did you find? I'm looking for a bracket/clamp/sleeve to attach two 22" shanks, with Blanton style disks, to a 2 x 2" toolbar. The shanks are 1 3/16" diameter. Anyone know where I could order something online? Thanks much.
Paul

/ Home built hiller #34  
We used a stock U bolts made to clamp 2 in. Springs to trailer axle. Square socket on 3 ph for bar rest in with 2 holes on each side for clamps.

/ Home built hiller #35  
We used a stock U bolts made to clamp 2 in. Springs to trailer axle. Square socket on 3 ph for bar rest in with 2 holes on each side for clamps.

Sorry but I don't understand "Square socket on 3ph." See you're from Port Barre. My dad grew up pretty close to there in a little town called Palmetto.

The clamp I'm looking for is the square to round in the attached picture. DSC01566.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
   / Home built hiller #36  
My bad, what I was refering to was to clamp the tool bar to the 3ph adaptor rather than weld it solid. A square socket or notch to prevent bar from turning up or down under load.

/ Home built hiller #38  
If you look close at pics posted by Ginormous his setup looks to be about the best one I've seen for round to square. Simple design, and no welding required. The old I-H single row tractors, such as the A's and Super A's came mostly with a tool bar instead of 3ph. All the clamps that I've used or seen for them were cast iron and used a giant lug wrench to loosen or tighten. If you get around Palmetto drive toward Bayou Rouge and you will probably see one or two old tractors up in the weeds. You might just find some treasures.

/ Home built hiller #39  
That's not a scrap yard, that's a flea market for tractor junkies! There is no such thing as scrap steel, only not currently being used stock.

/ Home built hiller
IMG_1158 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1149 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1147 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1150 (1280x960).jpg

I got a break yesterday up until someone stopped by for a few beers but I got the tool bar roughed in so I have the platform to work off of. I will hopefully have more time today to finish at least the hillers and attaching parts.

You can see how I marked the old discs with an old rotor that fit my hubs and simply spray painted thru the holes to transfer the exact hole spacing so I can plasma cut them clean.

I decided I was going to go ahead and weld a second bar on behind with a spreader bar between for no other reason than to make this thing sit upright on its own when its parked so I can just back up and quick hitch it. I am just thinking ahead and then I can build different tools as I dream them up.

Last edited: