Home built hiller

/ Home built hiller #51  
least you have work! Wish I was near there maybe I could give you a hand. I wish I could have something I could put in a few hours after the 8-430 gig.

/ Home built hiller #52  
Looks great Ginormous you did a nice job hope we hear a good report when you get it in the dirt! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Car Doc. Me too! Here in Ohio the avg last frost date is May 10, so I usually wait until after that to get things planted. This year we're going to be out of town from the 10-17, so hopefully the weather cooperates when I get back, or that garden will be a late start. Anyway... I'm thinking I may need to hang some extra weight on this, but I won't know until I'm in the middle of it.

/ Home built hiller #53  
Paul -- sorry, haven't been on for a few days... I did buy those brackets for 2" square to 1 3/16" round. I got them at a place in Ohio called Buckeye Tractor. Here's there website: Buckeye Tractor Co They list them as 2" square to 1 1/4" round, but they work just great with the Agri-supply hillers that have 1 3/16" round shanks. They're not free, $18.69 each (part # 17500), so you might be able to make some for yourself using their simple design.

Yeah, I looked at those. The set screw configuration looked like it may be more secure, but I'm going to go ahead and order the Buckeye brackets. Your advice on this is very helpful. Thanks.

/ Home built hiller
IMG_1184 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1187 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1201 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1205 (1280x960).jpg

I took the time today to add a flattener and get it garden ready I built it so I can lower it down far enough to support the tool bar level when sitting.. It looks like if I don't get in the garden tonite there is 70% chance of rain and snow tomorrow and I would make so much of a mess out of it I would be who knows when getting in so I will post pics of how the garden turns out tomorrow hopefully.

You guys with good eyes will notice the rear bar is bowed there on the right side I saw it and thought I had it crowned where I could balance the bow between the 2 strut bars. But using saw horses is not an exact science as far as welding. So I plan on using a 10 ton bottle jack and a good chain later before I paint it and fix that. So just so you don't think I am some kind of hack artist it really did bother me when I stood back and saw what I did. It will work fine I just like things as perfect as I can get them just me. fwtw

The garden pics on this post are just me playing in the dirt the ground is as I left last year just tilled and sat all winter till now. I plowed it and disced it and tilled it Sunday so its prepped now and ready to be seeded once I get the hilling done. At least I am crossing my fingers I get the whole hilling thing figured out. :laughing:

Just for conversation but looking at my garden shack calender from last year-last wknd last year my corn was 6" tall and it was 97 degrees! Its 40 now and 28 supposedly the low wed nite. This means I need to go and shut the water back off at the garden and drain the pvc water line etc etc sheesh its getting old.

/ Home built hiller
least you have work! Wish I was near there maybe I could give you a hand. I wish I could have something I could put in a few hours after the 8-430 gig.

Thanks for the offer I could use some now and then I would take you up on that if I could right now. I am one of the fortunate ones around here I pretty much stay busy year round. The problem I run into so often is I am the only one in the shop and I get overloaded pretty easy. Especially when they start showing up on hooks 3 at a time and get left here.

I also only work 8-5 m-f I quit burning the candles at both ends 10-12 years ago it aint worth it looking back by how bad my body feels now. :)

/ Home built hiller #56  
I like the idea of the bar that flattens the hill rows...I bought a tool bar and 14" discs last year...This year I'm adding S-tines with tips to cover the rear tire treads and I'm also adding a bar to flatten the beds...but I'm taking it a step further and behind the knock-down bar is three shallow furrows.. one on each side of the bed for seeds and a little deeper one in the middle for side dressing (fertilizer)...

Taking it even a step further (future modification)..I will remove the furrow bar and add one or two seeder/planter hoppers and drive wheels...I plan to use the seeder/hopper assemblies that are used on the hand pushed seeders...they can be purchased as parts for the walk/push seeders for about $35. ea...if I go with the 2 row setup I may also set up a third hopper in the center to side dress...then add another bar at the tail to slightly backfill over the seeds/fertilizer...

/ Home built hiller
Yup I can see some interesting mods as well! I think I will add a couple small shovels on spring shanks right behind the discs on the back bar to create an irrigation furrow on either side. I already plan on irrigating using the dip the disc creates but a shovel would do it better. Maybe a shovel right down the middle to irrigate heck if I know?

/ Home built hiller #58  
Safety police here!!! That looks like a trailer with MH axles! you know those things are one time use only right??? Your whole wheel could ffall off and you could kill the old lady planting flowers in her front yart with a loose tire.

Haha...just had to get us on another tangent.

/ Home built hiller #59  
Looking good. I'm anxious to see how your flattener works. I planted purple hulls and zipper cream peas this afternoon. Suppose to get down in the upper 30s here the next night or two but I'm speculating after that the ground is going to warm up fast. It is in the mid 80s this afternoon.

/ Home built hiller
Wow good eye Clemson haha! I even dropped them about 6 inchs that makes them even more unpredictable and dangerous! :D ;)

Man this weather is nuts Winston thanks again btw. I don't know but am sure crossing my fingers that the drought in my area is done gone don't know whats normal for you but we are below normal, temps in the 30's sounds low to me for you that far south?