Home built hiller

/ Home built hiller #61  
yea im here in upper SC, and we are colder than we have been or normal for now. Its not been super cool here but we kind of went from cold to late spring and then back to spring.

Last year I could if I did have planted my garden early march and been fine, but I didn't, and I got it in about this time of year, im hopeing to have it tilled this week and start getting stuff in this weekend late sunday.

/ Home built hiller #62  
Definitely been a little cooler in snaps this spring than normal but not a first. Just hoping we don't get a frost with the cool temps.

/ Home built hiller #63  
What was it 3 years ago we got the big snow here in my area sometime in march.

/ Home built hiller #64  
Here's a hiller I made from a front end l from riding mower. image.jpg

/ Home built hiller #65  
Clemson, I have several trailers with mobile home axles on them but I also run lowboy tires, not mobile home tires. If you know how to mount the tires they are very safe and efficient. The problems are with the tires stamped "for mobile home use only". And DOT can ticket you for using them.

On the hiller builds, lots of good looking equipment being built here. I took a shortcut when I built my gardening implements. On the Yanmars the bottom of the tranny/rearend is already sort of low so as long as you stay that high or higher you are ok. I have the reciever style 3 ph "trailer mover" as some call them. I insert a piece of tubing into my hitch and then weld another piece of 2 x 2 tubing to the first piece to create a "T" style toolbar and them mount hillers or cultivators or whatever I need onto the 2" T style toolbar. Tubing isn't expensive so I build one for each different set-up, never having to change anything from one to the other. And changing them out is as simple as pulling 1 pin and sliding that piece out of the reciever hitch. For a layoff plow to run my rows I built it out of a piece of tubing with 1 c-tine bolted to it with a small shovel, makes good rows in already tilled soil. I built another using a piece of tubing with a cultivator foot off of a H Farmall tractor, it has the adjustable angle for the sweep but I can mount a sweep, shovel, middlebuster...any bolt on plow to it.

I have the hiller parts but never put them together because I am in sandy loam on top of a hill, no drainage problems ever. I run a sprinkler and plant down in the furrow where the most moisture is.

I'm farming cheap with lightweight homebuilt implements that are light, change out quick and didn't cost a fortune to build. In fresh tilled soil, no rocks, roots or anything to get in the way, I can get away with it.

/ Home built hiller #66  
Terry, that's good as snuff and not half as dusty...lol.

I like it when someone recycles old stuff into new usuable stuff. It looks like it would work fine. After you figure out your angles you might want to weld them in place (hillers). I see the tires inside of the PVC pipe for a roller. Did you fill it with concrete for weight? Another great idea that'll get the job done.

On the sweep on the rear, you will probably find you're going to have to replace that aircraft cable with a piece of flatbar or angle to hold your plow down on the ground. It looks like it will kick up when lowered into the dirt. Have you used it yet ?

/ Home built hiller #67  
It was a joke, if you spend any time on the triler section they jump all over you for MH axles, then there are plenty that defend them. I personally dont care and would run one if i got a deal on one.

And i have seen regular tires "greenball" brand and others for sale online that are the exact same size as the "One time use only" tires in case you have a fender clearance issue to worry about or something.

/ Home built hiller
IMG_1219 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1230 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1233 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1213 (1280x960).jpg

Ok I did get in and finish the garden and planted corn and beans last nite darn good I did too because we got .40 and some pea hail and its light rain and 39 when I came to work. This is some crazy weather and tonite 28 low which I was aware of so I shut the water down and drained my pvc also last nite. :confused2:

I found I need to modify the flattener for next year or maybe I get lucky and can do 2 corn crops and try it this year anyway it needs a flat piece at the back to spread the dirt. What I saw was the 1 1/8 sq tubing was cutting thru the dirt ok but wasn't really making a flat surface I could drive my little earthway seeder down.

I still did it ok but it was somewhat off to the side of the crown of the hills it will work fine just thinking ahead and talking out loud for the next guy. You will notice my latest adopted us kitty helping me get the crop off to a good start haha she will be a constant companion over there all summer she was last year.

The hiller works great overall I will be looking for a couple spring shanks might even get away with solid shanks? And a couple small shovels to create my irrigation ditches. As of now I will water down the dip created by the disc and clean it with a hoe as the water cuts it out once everything gets going good thats the plan today it may well change as time goes on. :thumbsup:

/ Home built hiller #69  
make sure to get kitty fixed or else you end up with half a dozen more. Really wish folks would fix thier animals instead of just letting them be. Folks like us who like and care for them would not feel so bad each time one shows up homeless, as were loaded up with them.

/ Home built hiller
Apparently she has been or she would be knocked up already. She got a bad respiratory bug this winter and I took her in and she ended up staying a week with shots every day etc and I had the vet check her and he said he felt a suture line on her belly and she was about a year and half old so I totally agree on fixing outdoor pets. :thumbsup:

Fact you can see on her neck where he shaved her to do the blood work (feline leukemia check etc) its turning gray poor girl now she will have a gray patch on her neck when the hair grows back in haha. (free kitty thats a big laugh around our house)