2301 clutch won't disengage

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage #1  

choffman41

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2301
So, I used the tractor 8 days ago, parked it, shut it down and went home. Went to start it today and it lurched forward even though the clutch was depressed. Started it in neutral but couldn't get it in gear. Started it in gear and tried hitting the brakes with the clutch pedal down thinking maybe the disc glued itself to the flywheel. No good. Finally got mad enough that I took a run at a big log with the clutch pedal fully down. All that happened was the tractor stopped but the rear wheels were spinning. Adjustment is good, seems to have normal pressure on the pedal. I can't figure why it was working perfectly when I shut it down, but failed at next startup. Any ideas? Thanks.

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage #2  
I believe your clutch "is" stuck. I have read many ideas on unsticking them. Here are a few. Take your pick but be careful and do all of them with the clutch pushed in. The higher the gear the better your odds of successs. Drive it around the yard in a high gear, up hills preferred. Pull it around the yard in a high gear. I believe I read where one owner gets the tractor going a pretty good rpm and pulls the pto in gear. You could expect a little grinding while doing this but seems to have a high success rate of freeing the clutch. Does your 2301 have a way to lock the clutch down? My 2002d does, however, I seldom use it, always parking inside.

I found TractorErnies post about the brush hog ond pto. Ernie states he has freed a bunch of them that way. See post #15 in the thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/215942-clutch-not-working-2.html

Last edited:
   / 2301 clutch won't disengage #3  
just to add a thought on winston's ideas,push the clutch in as your are driving or put a block of wood to hold the clutch down over nite and see if its releases over nite...just some ideas to try

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage
I did put a block of wood in there to hold the clutch pedal down. I'll see if it did any good next week when I attempt to use the thing again. Thanks for the ideas.

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage #5  
I had a tractor with a stuck clutch that similarly resisted my attempts to free it without resorting to splitting the tractor. What finally worked for me was running the machine with the tiller in high gear and suddenly dropping the tiller into some soft dirt with the clutch pedal depressed. I couldn't get the clutch free by applying the brakes.

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage #6  
I have unstuck mine by just using the PTO with nothing attached. but the brush hog deal is quick and easy. if you have one set aside in a safe area the only thing you have to hook up is the PTO.

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage
Success! I put it in the highest gear it would pull a moderate hill, held the clutch pedal down and soon it broke free. After a little checking I found a little doodad that is built to specifically hold the clutch pedal down when parked. Imagine that!!

/ 2301 clutch won't disengage #8  
Another problem with the yanmar clutch system is the small rolled pin that goes through the forks for the throwout bearing. It can be sheared so be careful about the adjustment and be sure to have the recommended freeplay in the clutch pedal.

Putting it in the highest gear is the way to do it. The clutch just takes on the torque of the engine. It matters not to the engine if it is pulling hard in 2nd gear or hi gear but is easier on the drivetrain to unstick in a higher gear.