Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
So the recent thread on a stuck clutch got me thinking. I really want to make my clutch last for a LOOOOOOOng time to avoid splitting her in half. I thought I read on a thread once that a tractor clutch is different that a clutch in a car or truck. I know when I am working my tractor that I ride the clutch or rather fully depress it when I am shifting from forward to back on the powershift or when I need to stop and dump whats in the loader or when I am inching forward or back. Is this hurting my clutch prematurely and if is there a better way to accomplish loader work and maneuvering without relying on the clutch so much?

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #2  
I've never got to experiance the powershift so I can only comment on my gear drive clutching. I make it a point to avoid riding the clutch. Not saying I never do, but it's a rarity. My opinion is that is the quickest way to to injure a clutch. Just my 2 cents.

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #3  
My tractor has a two stage clutch. The first stage is the drive and the second is for the PTO. Riding with your foot on the pedal could be causing the throw out bearing to spin excessively just like if you drive your car with your foot on the clutch pedal. I probably keep my foot on the clutch pedal too much when doing shuttle work but that is a small percentage of the hours on the tractor.

But I think you are asking if keeping the clutch pedal depressed when dumping a load is hurting anything. My answer is no. I do not use the clutch to hold a position on a hill. I use the brakes for that. I use fourth gear to scoop up manure, 7th gear out of the dump, 9th gear across the pasture, 7th gear in the compost area to dump. 6 months later I use 4th to dig the compost out and maneuver to dump in the back of the pickup truck. I just use whatever gear is appropriate and try to choose gears so I do not have to ride the clutch.

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #4  
So the recent thread on a stuck clutch got me thinking. I really want to make my clutch last for a LOOOOOOOng time to avoid splitting her in half. I thought I read on a thread once that a tractor clutch is different that a clutch in a car or truck. I know when I am working my tractor that I ride the clutch or rather fully depress it when I am shifting from forward to back on the powershift or when I need to stop and dump whats in the loader or when I am inching forward or back. Is this hurting my clutch prematurely and if is there a better way to accomplish loader work and maneuvering without relying on the clutch so much?

When I have back and forth work to do I try to pick a range where I use powershift instead of clutching at all. But when it's necessary I don't hesitate to clutch. Neither of mine have ever needed a clutch and both have done a lot of loader work. So clutches can last a long time. Be sure to use the pedal hold down device if the tractor is going to sit for awhile. That avoids rust on the pressure plate.
If it comes to it, splitting the tractor is not the end of the world. It's mostly unbolting and then bolting things up again.
luck, rScotty.

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #5  
you shouldn't ride a clutch. it's not meant to be a full time speed control device.

slipping it to get going or engage a pto is what it's made for.. otherwise it's made to lokup.

I don't have a powershift currently to compair too.. but those function

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #6  
I have gotten in the habit of clutching when using my PS in higher gears and higher rpm's its a lot less shock on the final drive etc. When tilling I dont though I set the tiller spinning down in the dirt and shift into 1st and shift up w/o clutch that works like a charm.

Its amazing to me these clutches and throw out bearings work at all when we buy grey market machines considering the wet environment they came from. Id guess they get replaced fairly often and we may be the benefactor of that but that's only a thought.

/ Proper Yanmar Clutch Operation #7  
I have gotten in the habit of clutching when using my PS in higher gears and higher rpm's its a lot less shock on the final drive etc.

Its amazing to me these clutches and throw out bearings work at all when we buy grey market machines considering the wet environment they came from. Id guess they get replaced fairly often and we may be the benefactor of that but that's only a thought.

I do the same....it's alot less shock on me as well

Mine had new T O bearing and clutch installed when I bought it