cooling system

/ cooling system #1  

floridaboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1610
I have had my 1610 for 9 months and approx 36 hours. About a month ago, it began to overheat after about an hour and a half running. When I stopped and checked, it was low on fluid and I could see where fluid was running down the inside of the radiator. I ran it for about three mowing series after that and after replacing the low fluid, I was always able to finish mowing for about another hour and a half or more.
Well, I am no mechanic by any stretch but I removed the radiator and took it to a local radiator shop and had it completely cleaned and repaired. When I reinstalled it, I noticed that more than half of the air space in front of the radiator is covered by the battery and another 15/20% is covered by the air filter at the top. It just seemed that the air flow was awfully restricted to me. I have used the tractor to mow twice since then with no overheating problem but I am wondering if this restriction of the air space is normal and common???

My normal mowing is about 3 to 4 hours at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ cooling system #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( wondering if this restriction of the air space is normal and common )</font>

Probably; my Kubota had the battery and coolant recovery jug in front of the radiator so I wondered about that at first, but it never overheated.

/ cooling system #3  
Unless these items have been moved/changed by someone, you have to trust the designers to know and do their job.

/ cooling system #4  
My NH 1920's battery is also in front of the radiator, and almost completely blocks it.. at least 80% o f the core is covered.

Soundguy

/ cooling system #5  
It's in the design. The fan does the work because at the S L O W speeds tractors operate, it couldn't get enough air on it anyway.