Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Default Re: Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.

I think we were on the right track. I think it was a combination of fuel knock or lack therof and also too much fuel from maybe sticking injector pump? Smoke on acceleration is normal. I would run the you know what out of it now.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

I know when last filling up my tractor I didn't have the additive I usually add to it, It's now knocking as though someone inside with a hammer, I've heard this is the nature of the beast, But I cannot help but to think with this type of knocking going on something internally is being damaged, if this were a gas engine I would think a rod is about to come through the block,

Anyway! glad to hear you got it up and going
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

DND thats the "yammer hammer" thats why some folks seem to get a tractor from someone who just aquired it somehow and wants to get rid of it as they think it has a rod knock. I too use PS all the time and when i first used it it seemed quieter but i thought it was just me wanting to hear it. But i had a fill up or 2 without any and it seemed to really "hammer" more. I then got some and (next time at walmart) and put it in the tank and it seemed over time to quite? I usually use the grey bottle i think, the summer one with max cetane boost and use it at bouble the rate that the label says as i use so little fuel a year and the bottle says its ok for a dirty engine or something, but anyway the bottle says its fine so i do it. I think the small bottle lasts me about 18 months so its no big deal.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    DND thats the "yammer hammer" .
    Back when I first got my yanmar and was out using it checking it out, my neighbor came over and stopped me, He suggest that he thought it was about to throw a rod, I hadn't restored it yet and it must had looked like a junk to him, Though I had already been informed by the previous owner that it's suppose to sound this way and I told my neighbor it's suppose to sound like this, his reply is that I should have known better and I should know a rod knocking when I hear one, and implied that I got ripped off, by saying "he hope I didn't give much for it" after I restored it he thought I'de bought me a new tractor but was confused by it sounded off,
    Every now-n-then he'll yell over " I see it hasn't threw that rod yet" its been almost 5 years now
    I think if I didn't hear the knock something might be wrong
    Just think when these tractors were being used on the farms in Japan the sound they made all over the countryside, would have been music to our ears
    Last edited by deepNdirt; 04-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Yup agreed PS grey @ double strength does an amazing job of quieting my engine especially when she's good and warmed up. I have found that if I forget to add any when I fill later on I will notice myself thinking "man this engine is sure gettin loud" and then I remember I filled in a hurry and forgot to add. (I run winter fuel 1/2 #1 and 1/2 #2 year round and I think its more prone to knock anyway but may be wrong on that?)

I probably need to figure out a good place to keep the bottle at my farm tank instead of inside the shop it would make it pretty handy since my memory isn't any good anymore.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

I just discovered a station that has farm diesel. Same as road diesel except red dye and no road tax. $3.99/gallon, vs $4.27 for the cheapest road diesel around here.

I too use PS gray at double strength. I've also started adding 2-cycle oil in the proportion that would be single-strength Power Service. I'm trying to use up some old oil, and I think its a good idea in general to add lubricity. At this small concentration the smell isn't noticeable and there is no smoke - except a trivial amount momentarily when the tiller is loading it so hard that it can't hold rpm. I think this is much less smoke than I would see without the additives.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345