Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #1  

Sharkhunter

Tractor
Cat 416C, Ford 4630, JD 750
Hi all,

I just signed up to this site this evening in hopes of getting some ideas on what I have to do to get my neighbors tractor running. It's a Japanese made "Forte" Yanmar 3 cylinder (series 3T) tractor. I'm guessing it's about 10 years old and has 560 hours on the clock.

A little history on what I'm dealing with....3 years ago the owner runs the tractor out of fuel. He attempts to get it re-fired, gets aggravated when he can't get it going, and leaves it parked in the barn for 3 years. He then takes it to a friend with some diesel experience who tinkers with it, and the guy ends up passing away from a heart-attack. I've now got the tractor and have no idea what was or wasn't messed with by the other guy.

What I've done so far in my attempt to get this running....

1)Replaced all of the the fuel lines on the engine. The old ones were dry rotted and cracking.

2)Replaced the fuel bowl gasket that was leaking.

3)Removed and cleaned the 3 valves from atop the injector pump. All 3 of the valves and components looked perfect, and showed no signs of being gummed up. The springs were not broken and looked like new.

4)Bled everything out. I really made sure there was no air in the system.

5)Fuel tank is full with fresh diesel.

When I crank the engine with the compression release pulled, I get a little bit of fuel from each of the 3 injector pump valves with the lines remove, but it seems inconsistent. A little mist is how I would describe it. I'm not sure that it's pumping enough. Another thing I noted is that when I try and start it, and then remove the steel injector fuel line from the injectors, it is under pressure, and a little fuel sprays out as soon as I break it loose. Is that normal? I tried to pull the injectors tonight but they were frozen up. I hit them with some pb blaster and will let that soak until tomorrow when I will try again.

It will run for a second or 2 with a shot of starting fluid, but will make no attempt to run without it.

Lastly, one other thing I'm not sure is normal is that when I crank the engine with the return line off the the last injector in the series just before the IP, it pumps fuel like what would be normally going into the injector pump.

If you guys have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Tia,

Dave

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #2  
1. Stop using starter fluid. Hopefully it not already damaged to the point of needing repairs from that. Ether WILL ruin your Yanmar.

2. The injector lines should emit a little bit of fuel each time the pump delivers fuel. It isn't much, but it should be consistent, both between pulses and injector to injector. If not, either your pump is bad or aren't getting good delivery to the pump. I would suggest checking the filter element in the bowl, and re-bleed. If fuel isn't pouring out of the bleeder screw atop the pump, you have an obstruction somewhere upstream.

3. If all that happened was running out of fuel, the new fuel and bleeding should resolve things. Since the guy "tinkered" with it, I'm afraid your troubles are rooted there. There's no sense in pulling injectors if you don't get consistent, adequate fuel to them. Start systematically and work easy to hard. You know there is trouble delivering consistent fuel pulses from the pump, so start there. Once you have confirmed the pump is properly delivering fuel, then start on the injectors.

4. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.
1. Stop using starter fluid. Hopefully it not already damaged to the point of needing repairs from that. Ether WILL ruin your Yanmar.

2. The injector lines should emit a little bit of fuel each time the pump delivers fuel. It isn't much, but it should be consistent, both between pulses and injector to injector. If not, either your pump is bad or aren't getting good delivery to the pump. I would suggest checking the filter element in the bowl, and re-bleed. If fuel isn't pouring out of the bleeder screw atop the pump, you have an obstruction somewhere upstream.

3. If all that happened was running out of fuel, the new fuel and bleeding should resolve things. Since the guy "tinkered" with it, I'm afraid your troubles are rooted there. There's no sense in pulling injectors if you don't get consistent, adequate fuel to them. Start systematically and work easy to hard. You know there is trouble delivering consistent fuel pulses from the pump, so start there. Once you have confirmed the pump is properly delivering fuel, then start on the injectors.

4. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Thanks 284. I'm pretty sure that fuel to the IP is not the problem. Filter is new, and the fuel pours out from the IP inlet fitting without any air bubbles. For what it's worth, it also pours out the return side of the pump just the same if I break that fitting loose.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #4  
yea it should start easy, all you have to do once you run it out of fuel is to bleed the 3 screws after you put fuel in it. No taking lines off etc. 3 years is not long for a diesel to be sitting and it is fine if running then so don't worry about the injectors. and yes you will blow your rings apart or blow holes in the piston or damage the head in these yanmars, there are pics up of what starting fluid does to them.

yea it should start easy, all you have to do once you run it out of fuel is to bleed the 3 screws after you put fuel in it. No taking lines off etc. 3 years is not long for a diesel to be sitting and it is fine if running then so don't worry about the injectors. and yes you will blow your rings apart or blow holes in the piston or damage the head in these yanmars, there are pics up of what starting fluid does to them.

I guess that leaves me with replacing the injector pump? I'm just trying to make sure I don't spend any of my neighbors money needlessly. I won't use anymore starting fluid. :thumbsup:

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #6  
I guess that leaves me with replacing the injector pump? I'm just trying to make sure I don't spend any of my neighbors money needlessly. I won't use anymore starting fluid. :thumbsup:

You can probably take the injector pump to a machinist in the area. Ask a mechanic or 2 if they know of a place that rebuilds injector pumps. I've found a lot of small machine shops do hydraulic and injector pump rebuilds at good rates. There is a testing procedure for it if you have access to the service manual. If it's equivalent to a yanmar ym2200-3000 or 3600 aka jd850-1050 it's pretty easy to get ahold of service manuals.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #7  
Check the injector pump making sure the rack is moving as it shoudl. A long period of time and no use could lead to it sticking. What is the engine model or tractor model number? This pump is for a 3 cylinder but you can see the rack lever very clearly. The 3 cylinder will be very similiar. Yanmar Tractor Parts: INJECTOR PUMP - NEW!

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #8  
Well nobody has mentioned this so I will it needs lots of compression to run on diesel fuel. A motor that's sat for 3 years can easily have dry rings and still have enough compression to run on either which is easily combustible and dangerous to engines.

I would try getting some engine oil in the cylinders and spin it with the compression release to work it in and not bend any rods and get that off the list of possibility's. I am presuming it has fresh fuel also fwtw. edit: just saw #5 my bad.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #9  
It will run for a second or 2 with a shot of starting fluid, but will make no attempt to run without it.

Time to remove the Injector's and see if there spraying fuel. If they are run a compression check while there out and your know what you have. Air,Fuel,and Good Compression it should Run. If everthing checks out good then move to Stuck Injector Pump linkage. Did you check for the Exhaust to see if it's Clogged. Any Smoke out of it. I Don't recall it being mentioned.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice so far. I made a short video of what the injector pump is putting out with the tractor being turned over using the compression release. The fuel just kind of leaks over the top of the valves and doesn't seem to have any pressure behind it. I thought I'd see what you guys thought before I did anything else. Sorry for the crappy video. I was holding the phone with one hand.

Yanmar Tractor - YouTube