Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Default Today's project - fuel gauge in cap.

On the YM186D - After its annual oil and filter change, and (more frequent) greasing, I looked around to see if anything needed attention. The fuel gauge in the filler cap has always been murky and hard to read so I took it apart. This was much simpler than I expected. The top cover comes off with the cap/gauge assembly left intact on the tank.

What I found was the needle was indistinguishable from the background due to fading and grime. I repainted the needle with a white paint-based marking pen and now it stands out clearly. As for cleaning the plastic window - it has a 'frosted' texture on the inner side and didn't clean up to transparent, but its better. Has anyone ever bought just the window?

Total time under 10 minutes. Highly recommended, if needed.
    Last edited by California; 04-20-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Default Re: Today's project - fuel gauge in cap.

Thanks for the info Cal, I need to do the same thing on my fuel cap on the 186D. I have been using the flashlight to read the gauge.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

I didn't know one was available for our Ym's , I would like to get one for mine, in the past I've had them on lawn tractors and was always clear and visible, the diesel fuel must have some effect on tarning the plastic lense, You could try doing the headlight leanse restore technique but because it being on the inside I wouldn't be sure it would last for long, The technique is to sand with a fine grit 600 or so sand paper to remove the oxidation, then spray clear laquer on it and let it dry and re-coat , I done this with the headlight lenses on my '99 f-250 2 years ago and they still look like the day after I restored them, if they ever turn again I'll simply re-apply,
    There is a automotive headlight restore kit available but it's nothing more than what I have described and is expensive,
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Thanks for posting. Well done.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

So,is there a gasket on it ? Mine leaks a little,around the window,and is hard to see-been going to take it apart,never get around to it.
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by deepNdirt View Post
    I didn't know one was available for our Ym's , I would like to get one for mine, in the past I've had them on lawn tractors and was always clear and visible, the diesel fuel must have some effect on tarning the plastic lense, You could try doing the headlight leanse restore technique but because it being on the inside I wouldn't be sure it would last for long, The technique is to sand with a fine grit 600 or so sand paper to remove the oxidation, then spray clear laquer on it and let it dry and re-coat , I done this with the headlight lenses on my '99 f-250 2 years ago and they still look like the day after I restored them, if they ever turn again I'll simply re-apply,
    There is a automotive headlight restore kit available but it's nothing more than what I have described and is expensive,
    I have found that to polish headlight Lexan covers back to original luster all you need is a hard cellulose sponge and some Mother's Aluminum mag wheel polish. It has just the amount of abrasive to polish the lenses. Of course if you want to save some elbow grease, just use a lambs wool buffing pad on an electric buffer. I polished my daughters Honda in less than 20 minutes, one side with a dry cellulose sponge in 15 minutes. Then I remembered that I had some buffing wheels for my pneumatic buffer and did the other one in about 3-5 minutes. I have been using the Mothers aluminum polish for this for 20 years and the original can of polish is still good.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2210

[QUOTE=deepNdirt;3280250]I didn't know one was available for our Ym's , I would like to get one for mine... QUOTE]

Me too! It sure is a hassle to grab my measuring stick, poke it down into the tank, pull it out to see how much got wet, wipe it off etc. Hoye has a replacement fuel tank cap with a gauge built into it (part # HTC-4145), but it's a little pricy at $55. BTW, when I looked up the price for that on Hoye's site, I also noticed they have a STEEL replacement fuel tank... expensive though, $279.
    Yanmar YM2210, Taylor-way 5' finish mower, Woods 4' rotary mower, boom pole, hayride wagon; upgraded tractor with gas turbine engine plus strap on solid rocket motors for that extra boost of speed... but brakes only work when I'm on the ground.
    <><

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by Barry 1 View Post
    is there a gasket on it ? Mine leaks a little,around the window
    Quote Originally Posted by deepNdirt View Post
    I didn't know one was available for our Ym's

You could try doing the headlight lens restore technique but because it being on the inside I wouldn't be sure it would last for long, The technique is to sand with a fine grit 600 or so sand paper to remove the oxidation, then spray clear lacquer on it and let it dry and re-coat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I have found that to polish headlight Lexan covers all you need is a hard cellulose sponge and some Mother's Aluminum mag wheel polish. It has just the amount of abrasive
    There is some guy on Ebay selling this type of gauge, 'universal fit' in various lengths. Also the YM186 gauge would fit YM2000/YM1700 but I think its a little short so it would indicate Empty too soon. Usable, if you never let the tank get below 1/4 anyway.

I found a disintegrating 'gasket' of red RTV gasket sealer that wasn't adhering. You might try that. As several have noted, these gauges are not raintight.

I polished the outer surface with the finest grade of buffing compound from an old kit I found in the barn. It looked pretty decent. But that compound did nothing for the rough frosted inner side of the lens. Maybe a couple coats of lacquer would make an even and transparent surface.

That's good to know that Mother's Aluminum mag wheel polish works well. Does anyone know if silverware polish is suitable for headlights?

Tractor
    ym165D

You can go to a yanmar parts dealer and by just the leans.An other idea is to get one of those headlight leans polishing kits from Harbor freight.Yanmar part lens 194145-04351 ,I,ve replaced mine once.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

well, I broke down and bought a new replacment.I now keep the new gauge covered
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak