Mowing Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I'm picking up a 4' rear mount finish mower for my Yanmar F16D. I've always used an overrunning clutch with my bushhog, but didn't know if it was needed for the mower. Any experiences with that?

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #2  
I guess that the finish mower won't have the momentum of a shredder. However, I can't see a reason to NOT use the OR clutch. I don't think it can hurt.

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #3  
I'm going to show my ignorance. What is an "OR clutch"?

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #4  
I'm using a 4' finish mower with my YM1500. ...and yes, it has considerable inertia. Might not be as much as a rough cut deck, but it's still enough that I missed my overrunning clutch when it died. Only went about 40 feet without it before I figured out it was NOT safe to continue until I replaced it.
as stated above, "it can't hurt."

Jake

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #5  
I started writing a description of the various PTO transmissions, but the web page at Maverick Tractor General FAQs is pretty thorough, and saves a lot of typing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The OR Clutch (overrunning clutch) prevents forward movement of the tractor caused by implement inertia, and is useful on tractors without live or independant PTOs.

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #7  
my e2004 has a 6' finishing mower and never have noticed any pushing yet the blades are only ~1' out past center line i don't think they have quite the momentuem to have to worry with one but if you already have one i'd just retro-fit it to it..

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #8  
Thanks Doc
That page has some useful info.

-Ricky

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #9  
I use one on my Iseki for my 5' mower. I don't want to take the chance. Kinda like taking Dramamine.... you can take it before going to sea or you can wait and see if you get sick...

/ Overrunning clutch for Finish Mower #10  
Inertia is one issue ,your transmission is another. It is much easier to shift when you stop with the clutch. You don't have sit and wait for the mower to stop spinning before you can shift.