another thermosyphon engine

/ another thermosyphon engine #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I was just reading the manual for my 1966 int. cub, and noticed that it is thermosyphon as well... small world.

Soundguy

/ another thermosyphon engine #2  
As I have stated here on many Kubota posts, the thermosiphon cooling system design is a pretty good design that is very simple, but requires an understanding of the system. It has been around for a long time; I think that a lot of the 1940s and 1950s tractors used that design.

Probably the biggest caution that I can give folks is to (1) ALWAYS pre-mix the water/antifreeze mix prior to pouring it into the radiator, and (2) never exceed the manufacturer's recommended water/antifreeze mix (typically 50/50).

Some people have a tendancy to think that if 50% antifreeze in the solution is good, then 100% is twice as good. When you have a water pump circulating the fluid, that may be correct, but not if you rely upon natural heat flow to circulate the coolant.

Kelvin

/ another thermosyphon engine #3  
Anyone here ever use Redlineoil's Water Wetter in their tractor? Sounds like it might do well in this type of application.

/ another thermosyphon engine #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone here ever use Redlineoil's Water Wetter in their tractor? Sounds like it might do well in this type of application. )</font>

That sounds "Kinky"

/ another thermosyphon engine #5  
I have been using Water Wetter in my 2210 all summer. I have not overheated. I also had the radiator professionally cleaned and flushed the engine block. When I put new fluids back in, I included the Water Wetter. I ran the tractor for 5 hours straight in 90+ teemperature this last Saturday getting ready for deer season. No problem. Before I would overheat within 30 minutes during the spring. I think your efforts would be best spent cleaning the cooling system and using the additive only as an extra preventive measure.

/ another thermosyphon engine #6  
Biglily:

Wetter stuff wouldn't help me. I have a NEW 5030HSTC. I am sure the radiator is clean, or at least I hope it is. The guy I posted to asked the question. Both of you need to fill out your profiles so that we may know more about you and welcome to TBYNet.

/ another thermosyphon engine #7  
Didn't know I need to fill out my profile to get an answer to a simple question. I've found that what people post on message boards as fact normally isn't so. If you need to know something specific about me, ask, I'll tell you.

If you weren't so busy trying to be clever, maybe you would check this stuff out. Seems like many people have used it with excellent results, even in "NEW" equipment.

/ another thermosyphon engine #8  
Water wetter ROCKS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I use it in every vehicle I have.
My daughter had a Merkur xr4ti with a turbo, that car would over heat in the winter.
We put water wetter in the radiator,after we flushed it &
Presto, no problems after that.
I use in all (my) tractors its a great product !
Tractor Ernie <><

/ another thermosyphon engine #9  
Thanks for the response, on my next service, I will add it to my 1401D.

/ another thermosyphon engine #10  
Nah, profile information isn't necessary to get your questions answered. But don't take the request the wrong way either. Just about everybody here is on the level. I have 3 Yanmar (gray market) tractors right now, and anytime I see someone post about having the same model, I want to know if they are close by. I think its just more of a courtesy than anything.

Also, for those with the thermosyphon cooling systems, it helps to know where you live since you want to run the least antifreeze necessary. Its way different if you live in FL vs ME.