What weight oil in eastern NC?

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #1  

powwowell

Tractor
John Deere 1026R
The owners manual for my Ex3200 says to use either 10W30, or 10W40 oil. What do the owners, who live in eastern NC, use?

And, what's the difference in regular motor oil and oil for diesels?

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #2  
difference in reg. oil and diesel oil .......Different additive package

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #3  
USE deisel rated oil. delvac, rotella, dello, any of those. I use 15w 40, if i were to go syn it would be 5w40
But you realize the 2 oils you are talking about are really the same weight once you get warm. You always want to use the lowest first number as you can and still maintain the weight you want in that second number. What i mean is both 10w30 and 10w40 is 30 weight oil, its just one acts like 10w cold and one 20w when cold. The thinner the oil, or lower first number, the faster it will flow cold, which means it will get to the top of the motor and bearings faster.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #4  
i'd probably use a 15w40.. ( 5w40 if syn ).. but if i ran in cold alot and in hot .. not alot ;) I'd run a 10w30

ALL C rated mind you.

up north 10w30 C rated oil is more common. almost can't find it here in florida.. etc..

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #5  
i'm probably not over 100 miles from your area and everyone for the most part in these parts use 15 w 40 for diesel and 10 w 30 for gas. unless it's 4 cycle built pre 1980's then we use sae 30 weight.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #6  
USE deisel rated oil. delvac, rotella, dello, any of those. I use 15w 40, if i were to go syn it would be 5w40
But you realize the 2 oils you are talking about are really the same weight once you get warm. You always want to use the lowest first number as you can and still maintain the weight you want in that second number. What i mean is both 10w30 and 10w40 is 30 weight oil, its just one acts like 10w cold and one 20w when cold. The thinner the oil, or lower first number, the faster it will flow cold, which means it will get to the top of the motor and bearings faster.

What i said makes no sense!! haha one is a 30 weight oil and one a 40 weight!! I guess i was thinking you were asking which should i use 10w40 or 15w40????

Ok continue on.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC?
What i said makes no sense!! haha one is a 30 weight oil and one a 40 weight!! I guess i was thinking you were asking which should i use 10w40 or 15w40????

Ok continue on.

I understand. At times, what I have on my mind, does not come out of my mouth. Or, the keyboard. The unanimous answer seems to be 15w40. I stopped by the local Tractor Supply and most of the diesel oil is 15w40. I got my tractor in June, 2012. I only have 29 hours on it and the manual says to change the oil at 50 hours. The way the grass is growing, I'll get to those 50 hours soon. It might be best to purchase the oil and filter from the dealer? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the replies.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #8  
You dont have to buy oil at a dealer to be in warrenty or be covered. Get your manual out and see what it says. It may say 10w30 C? whatever deiseil rated oil, i think were up to CJ spec now???? If this is an old yanmar any deisel oil you buy will be good. But mostlikely 15w 40 is fine for your tractor according to manual and any of the big names and even off brands will cover your specs. I would get the rotella or Dello oil at walmart thats the cheapest place to get it. Buy it by the gallon as its way cheaper that way, even if you just need 5 qts just get 2 jugs and keep the extra. Get a good filter though, a dealer one would be good. or one from carquest or nappa as they use Wix brands, or should i say Wix makes thier house brand filter.

Me personally i would not buy from the delaer for oil, the filter, maybe if i cant get it at like carquest.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC?
I'll check Walmart out for the oil. I want good stuff for my tractor, but I don't want to spend dollars, that I don't have to. Thanks for the tips.

/ What weight oil in eastern NC? #10  
I'll check Walmart out for the oil. I want good stuff for my tractor, but I don't want to spend dollars, that I don't have to. Thanks for the tips.

walmart oil is fine.

all my tractors are running on some oil bought from walmart or tsc. my 95hp , nearly 27k$ new, NH 7610s is running on walmart oils... unless tsc was cheaper whan i did the oil change last summer..e tc..