YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #1  

puresol

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1700
The title says it all. Been using my tractor a good bit the last few weeks. Parked it for a week, cranked it today, got heavy smoke for 5-10mins. Clears up after running. Turn it off, crank it up, heavy smoke. Opened the air cleaner and had steam coming out. Could I be so lucky as to need a head gasket, any thoughts?

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner
Guess its odd to reply to my own post but just wanted to add some information. Oil level is good, no problem. Water/ Coolant level was low. Appears to definitely be steam from coolant out of air filter. I mean the coolant has to be going some place.

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #3  
Sounds like the head gasket to me.

Be sure to use the compression release EVERY time you begin to crank it to flush water out of the cylinders until you get this resolved! Water is uncompressible and will bend/shatter something.

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #4  
I agree with California.

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #5  
Keep coolant in it and try not to run it hot. Hopefully it's just slightly warped. If it was mine there already have been a call to Hoye. May be a simple easy fix ;)

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #6  
Yup I agree with California also use the comp release when cranking or else it could be very expensive overhaul instead of a minor HG replacement. good luck

Started my tractor this afternoon, exhaust coming out of radiator. Will pull the head this weekend and send it to the shop, checked for cracks, and resurfaced. Seeing how far into the motor I will be does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should replace. I was thinking definitely new rings.

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #8  
I've been down the same road with my YM1700. Unfortunately for me I discovered the real problem too late. To make a long story short I cooked my engine and had to just about go a complete rebuild. I pretty much replaced everything exceot the main bearings. in addition to the rebuild I bought a water pump kit and installed it too. I never did trust the thermo-syphon system here in the Deep South during the summer. U can read some if my old posts about my experiences.

Head gasket may be all u need. I would have the head pressure tested and magnafluxed at least.

/ YM1700 heavy blue grey smoke at crank up steam from air cleaner #9  
Has your tractor given any indication of oil use or blowby? If not and running strong before the head gasket failure my two cents would be to change the head gasket and keep trucking.

I would characterize the oil use as minimal, only slight. As far as blowby is concerned its a little heavy, but not as heavy as what I saw on the youtube video I watched.