Bleeding fuel from an F16D

/ Bleeding fuel from an F16D #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I think that I got some air in my fuel last night - the tank was almost empty and I was mowing and I decided to get "one more lap" around the yard before stopping to fill up. The tractor never stopped running (yes, I put fuel in while it was running - shame on me) and I wondered if filling it while running had anything to do with it (fuel splashing into the bottom of the tanks causing air to get sucked down the filter, etc). Anyway, I mowed for a little while longer and kept losing power until I stopped.

The fuel filter assembly has a push-button on the top of it that leads down to a tube that lets fuel run out, but I don't know if there is a screw/valve or anything that need to be loosened/turned/removed before that works (I pushed the button and nothing came out). There is a similar assembly near the injection pump - again, I don't know if I just need to push it and let it drain or if I need to turn/loosed a screw/bolt or something.

Any help that anybody can offer will sure help me out after my boneheaded move.

Thanks.

Good luck and take care.

/ Bleeding fuel from an F16D #3  
Hi, F18D has the fuel filter as described with the the push button. I have never had to use it though. Winston it doesnt look like that, it is definately a push button, i did wonder is this was for bleeding when i saw it. I dont have a pic, and cant find one that matches online. Sorry not much help.

/ Bleeding fuel from an F16D
This is the filter housing Hoyes shows for the F16D. No push button. 2 bleed screws and a shutoff handle. Does yours look like that? Yanmar Tractor Parts: FILTER VALVE ASSEMBLY -S- OUT OF STOCK

Here is a good article on priming. Yanmar Tractor Fuel Bleeding Procedure

I looked at their procedure and it looks like it covers the YM series but not necessarily the F-series. The fuels filter assembly is similar, but different. I didn't get a picture of it either. I know that I have used the push button to bleed the system when I've changed the fuel filter, but for the life of me and I can't remember how I did it (How's that for old age). If nobody can help me with, I'll continue to monkey around with it and maybe sooner or later I'll get it, and I can post it in this thread for future reference.

Thanks for the help/suggestions though. Take care.

/ Bleeding fuel from an F16D #5  
Here is what I thought of when I read the title:
image.jpg

That's alot like mine, but a little different. Mine goes a little slower, but mows way better.

However, I haven't been able to use mine for air superiority...yet. Once I get this fuel problem fixed, I'll see about it...

Well, I'd like to post how I fixed the problem, but I really can't - not because it's not fixed, but it's because I'm not sure what I did.

There are no bleed screws on the filter housing, just the spring loaded push button. I kept it pushed down and nothing would come out. I decided that maybe I had a blockage in the fuel line from the tank to the filter housing, so I started to remove the filter housing to take the incoming fuel line loose (not enough room between the housing inlet and the "firewall" to get to the fuel line without moving the filter housing.

Anyway, as soon as I go the housing unbolted (one thru-bolt is all that holds it on), I pushed the button and fuel started flowing out of the discharge tube. Sure enought, there went a few bubbles and then nothing but good fuel. I put the filter housing back and then pressed the button at the injection pump. This time, a few bubbles came out and then good fuel. Cranked the tractor, it fired up and ran great, mowed the yard for a couple of hours - good to go.

I'm guessing that there was something blocking the fuel line, or maybe just an air bubble in the line that was blocking fuel from the filter assembly. At any rate, it sure looks like that when things are normal, the pushbuttons serve the same purpose as bleeder screws, just a different way of doing it.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Just wish I really knew for sure what I did.

Good luck and take care.