Yanmar 186d your thoughts

/ Yanmar 186d your thoughts #1  

houstonscott

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc
Found a Yanmar 186d with 136hrs on it. What's a fair price? Looks like a time machine. Any issues with this model?

HS

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 186d your thoughts #2  
1986 was the last year it was sold. That averages out to 5 hours a year. :rolleyes: If that is correct it ought to be worth the maximum. It is really worth what you are willing to give. Have you still got your 1610?

/ Yanmar 186d your thoughts #3  
That's a 3 digit hourmeter. My YM186D only shows 36 hours! :D But when I bought it I had to rebuild the worn out steering box - and discovered it had been rebuilt before. So probably over 2000 hours actual.

If you have really found an as-new YM186D it is worth whatever you have to pay for it. I think this is the best small tractor ever.

But verify the apparent condition. Ask for the original purchase paperwork and manuals, if possible. While a no-hours 30 year old tractor is possible, a misrepresentation is also possible.

Answering your questions - No issues with this model. With real high hours the normal stuff wears out same as a car - battery, belts, maybe eventually the starter, etc. This is a generally bulletproof model.

Price? maybe over $5k for the bare tractor (if its really that good), plus the value of any implements. There was a recent thread discussing the same issue, maybe the same tractor. I think that guy concluded it was really 1030 hours and well maintained.

/ Yanmar 186d your thoughts #4  
That's a 3 digit hourmeter. My YM186D only shows 36 hours! :D But when I bought it I had to rebuild the worn out steering box - and discovered it had been rebuilt before. So probably over 2000 hours actual.

If you have really found an as-new YM186D it is worth whatever you have to pay for it. I think this is the best small tractor ever.

But verify the apparent condition. Ask for the original purchase paperwork and manuals, if possible. While a no-hours 30 year old tractor is possible, a misrepresentation is also possible.

Answering your questions - No issues with this model. With real high hours the normal stuff wears out same as a car - battery, belts, maybe eventually the starter, etc. This is a generally bulletproof model.

Price? maybe over $5k for the bare tractor (if its really that good), plus the value of any implements. There was a recent thread discussing the same issue, maybe the same tractor. I think that guy concluded it was really 1030 hours and well maintained.

I totally agree with California. my old YM169D read 800 something hours when I got it, after 1 year I finally fixed the tachometer cable and it started to record hours again, however in that time frame I kept track of every hour I used it. Before I sold it I rolled over the hour meter back to 0. I estimate my Yanmar had anywhere from 2000-4000 hours on it, however it ran awesome, only had minor repairs.

/ Yanmar 186d your thoughts #5  
I have a 186D....great little tractor. Hours could be anything....836...936...who knows. I will bet it is not 136.
With that said......if it checks out.....$4500 to $5500 would be an OK price. FEL will add another $1K. Those little diesels go a long time.......good luck!!:thumbsup:

/ Yanmar 186d your thoughts #6  
Here's the thread where the guy bought a claimed 14-hour YM186D. After posters asked him questions, it appeared to be low hours but not 14.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/244094-our-new-186d.html

Here's his photo in post #103. Note the paint is worn down to bare metal on the fender grab-handles.

Way off-topic comment on that photo: I cut 2 inches off the range shift lever of my YM186D so I could swing my leg across without snagging on that shift lever. To shift ranges means leaning forward a little more, but its still closer than the 4x4 lever - not difficult at all. In my opinion they should have built it with that lever shorter.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 186d your thoughts #7  
Here's the thread where the guy bought a claimed 14-hour YM186D. After posters asked him questions, it appeared to be low hours but not 14.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/244094-our-new-186d.html

Here's his photo in post #103. Note the paint is worn down to bare metal on the fender grab-handles.

Way off-topic comment on that photo: I cut 2 inches off the range shift lever of my YM186D so I could swing my leg across without snagging on that shift lever. To shift ranges means leaning forward a little more, but its still closer than the 4x4 lever - not difficult at all. In my opinion they should have built it with that lever shorter.

I cut off my 2002d gear shift lever and range shift lever for the same reason.