Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

Default Yanmar 186d your thoughts

Found a Yanmar 186d with 136hrs on it. What's a fair price? Looks like a time machine. Any issues with this model?

HS
    Last edited by houstonscott; 05-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Default Re: Yanmar 186d your thoughts

1986 was the last year it was sold. That averages out to 5 hours a year. If that is correct it ought to be worth the maximum. It is really worth what you are willing to give. Have you still got your 1610?

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

That's a 3 digit hourmeter. My YM186D only shows 36 hours! But when I bought it I had to rebuild the worn out steering box - and discovered it had been rebuilt before. So probably over 2000 hours actual.

If you have really found an as-new YM186D it is worth whatever you have to pay for it. I think this is the best small tractor ever.

But verify the apparent condition. Ask for the original purchase paperwork and manuals, if possible. While a no-hours 30 year old tractor is possible, a misrepresentation is also possible.

Answering your questions - No issues with this model. With real high hours the normal stuff wears out same as a car - battery, belts, maybe eventually the starter, etc. This is a generally bulletproof model.

Price? maybe over $5k for the bare tractor (if its really that good), plus the value of any implements. There was a recent thread discussing the same issue, maybe the same tractor. I think that guy concluded it was really 1030 hours and well maintained.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    That's a 3 digit hourmeter. My YM186D only shows 36 hours! But when I bought it I had to rebuild the worn out steering box - and discovered it had been rebuilt before. So probably over 2000 hours actual.

If you have really found an as-new YM186D it is worth whatever you have to pay for it. I think this is the best small tractor ever.

But verify the apparent condition. Ask for the original purchase paperwork and manuals, if possible. While a no-hours 30 year old tractor is possible, a misrepresentation is also possible.

Answering your questions - No issues with this model. With real high hours the normal stuff wears out same as a car - battery, belts, maybe eventually the starter, etc. This is a generally bulletproof model.

Price? maybe over $5k for the bare tractor (if its really that good), plus the value of any implements. There was a recent thread discussing the same issue, maybe the same tractor. I think that guy concluded it was really 1030 hours and well maintained.
    I totally agree with California. my old YM169D read 800 something hours when I got it, after 1 year I finally fixed the tachometer cable and it started to record hours again, however in that time frame I kept track of every hour I used it. Before I sold it I rolled over the hour meter back to 0. I estimate my Yanmar had anywhere from 2000-4000 hours on it, however it ran awesome, only had minor repairs.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

I have a 186D....great little tractor. Hours could be anything....836...936...who knows. I will bet it is not 136.
    With that said......if it checks out.....$4500 to $5500 would be an OK price. FEL will add another $1K. Those little diesels go a long time.......good luck!!
    Is it just me.....or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good![

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Here's the thread where the guy bought a claimed 14-hour YM186D. After posters asked him questions, it appeared to be low hours but not 14.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/y...-new-186d.html

Here's his photo in post #103. Note the paint is worn down to bare metal on the fender grab-handles.

Way off-topic comment on that photo: I cut 2 inches off the range shift lever of my YM186D so I could swing my leg across without snagging on that shift lever. To shift ranges means leaning forward a little more, but its still closer than the 4x4 lever - not difficult at all. In my opinion they should have built it with that lever shorter.
    Last edited by California; 05-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Here's the thread where the guy bought a claimed 14-hour YM186D. After posters asked him questions, it appeared to be low hours but not 14.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/y...-new-186d.html

Here's his photo in post #103. Note the paint is worn down to bare metal on the fender grab-handles.

Way off-topic comment on that photo: I cut 2 inches off the range shift lever of my YM186D so I could swing my leg across without snagging on that shift lever. To shift ranges means leaning forward a little more, but its still closer than the 4x4 lever - not difficult at all. In my opinion they should have built it with that lever shorter.
    I cut off my 2002d gear shift lever and range shift lever for the same reason.