Yanmar painting first?

/ Yanmar painting first? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I posted a few weeks ago about a source for 5 x 12 tires for my Yanmar and received several responses (thanks). I check catalog and local prices and they were around $57 each to $70 each. I took a shot and looked on eBay and sure enough came up with a couple of 5 x 12 tires mounted on JD wheels. I ended up getting the set for $75 including shipping.

Of course, the JD yellow just won't look right on my Yanmar F16D, so I have dutifully repainted the wheels with the Rustoleum Almond paint.

The "Painting First" comes in with - I know some importers repaint their Yanmars to look like JD, so I've repainted some JD stuff to match my grey Yanmar. Is that tractor pride or what.

By the way, the tires turned out to be 5 x 12, not 5.00 x 12 - there were advertised as 5.00 x 12. Anyway, they appear to be a little narrower and a little taller, but I don't think there will be enough difference to upset the front to rear ratio (I usually run in 2wd anyway unless the situation is slick).

Thanks for the input previously.

/ Yanmar painting first? #2  
5 vs 5.00 it's probaly exactly the same size probaly. I know i've got some 18.1x16.4 tires and there has been as much as 4" around and 8" width differences or more..

/ Yanmar painting first? #3  
It's just amazing how the same size tires can vary in size from different manufacturers. I just went through this with tires on my boat trailer. I had a blowout so I went to the local tire store and had a new tire mounted. It was the same exact size as the old one but this new tire was an inch wider and almost 2 inches larger in diameter. I elected to go ahead and purchase new tires all the way around so that the tires would all be the same size!

/ Yanmar painting first? #4  
5.00 x 12 is a different critter than a 5-12, same goes for the 6-12 vs the 6.00 x 12. Of course each brand differs a little as well, but don't ignore the ".00". Generally the .00 tires are taller in my experience.

/ Yanmar painting first?
I had 5.00 - 12s on my F16D and got new 5-12s. The 5-12s are taller (just a little) and narrower (just a little). Of course, the older 5.00-12s are considerably worn, as in the lugs are almost gone, so they may have been taller "back in the day". Again, I don't think that it is enough to make that much difference.

Thanks for the heads up about the difference between the two designations, though Dave (I think it was you that told me that back in an earlier post). At least I knew there would be some difference.