Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question #1  

hoozie

Tractor
MT210D
My dad recently picked up this little mini excavator. We're looking for a manual for it, but we're not sure if it's a VIO20 -1, -2, or -3. It's a year 2000 model, likely grey market.

The more pressing issue: The left side drive recently started making some nasty grinding noises. We took the two allen screws out and found only dry crusty black stuff :mad: The right side drive isn't making as much noise yet, and it's also dry and crusty.

Should we attempt to clean these out and refill with some fluid? What kind of fluid? I have lots of 80w90 gear fluid on hand.

Otherwise, it's been a very handy little machine :thumbsup:

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question
Any tips on what identifies each model from the other ones? We're pretty sure it's not a -3, but then that still leaves us with two options :laughing:

We did go ahead and throw some 80w90 in each hub. The right side is keeping it in. The bad/left side it pours out the bottom at the same speed as we put it in :mad:

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question #4  
There has to be a model # stamped on the chassis somewhere. On the ag tractors its on the transmission adjacent to the operator's left ankle. On that thing ... ?????

And the engine model may distinguish it. Look for a tag riveted to the valve cover or down low next to the starter. Or an engine model/serial # stamped on the block near the starter.

Looked again and found a tag that says it's a VIO20-1. This also matches with the pictures of -1s we found online. It seems that the main visual difference is the control levers between the -1 and -2.

Now to find replacement drives.

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question #6  
Looked again and found a tag that says it's a VIO20-1. This also matches with the pictures of -1s we found online. It seems that the main visual difference is the control levers between the -1 and -2.

Now to find replacement drives.
Hiya.... I have the same digga and also need a travel motor for mine... did you manage to find one if so were from and how much ?

Nope, we weren't able to find a replacement drive motor for it :( Went back and forth with one guy for a while, and he eventually came back and said he couldn't find a replacement.

But, as an update, we did get rid of the nasty popping/cracking noise from the one drive by releasing the tension on that belt. Turns out the greasert in the center of the tracks sets the tension on the belt. My dad was quite concerned when he couldn't get anything in them :laughing: So, I set the tension correctly, and the noises went away.

But, the one side still leaks like a sieve. So, before he uses it he puts a dollop of the thickest oil he could find in it. Allegedly my uncle was going to find the seal "they're easy to find", and replace it, but then he looked around a bit, and discovered they weren't so easy to locate.

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question #8  
BUGGA... oh well i jus have to keep tryin then.. cheers anyway

/ Yanmar VIO 20 ID & final drive lube question #9  
hiya... new 2 speed travel motors for the ViO 20 are $3200 + gst from Papamoa and are on the shelf... they also have the seal kits available

Do you have a phone number/email/website for that place?