My new old YM240

/ My new old YM240 #31  
This spotlight on the Version 1 YM240 is interesting. I haven't seen the facts about these drawn together into a single thread.

My YM240 Parts Manual says 'For YM240 1975 and later'. But the Nebraska testing was done in 1975 so I assume this model already had some market presence here by then - or they never would have heard of it. Does anyone know when this model started (in Japan as YM2000) or was first imported here?

I'll toss in a wild guess, unsubstantiated: it looks to me that YM1900 (years unknown) was the earliest version of this series.

284 noted the extreme ballast for the Nebraska test. I'll agree with his point about too much ballast to maintain speed going uphill. I first loaded my (oversize) rear tires to maximum with water and that required stopping to shift down a gear or two before attempting any upslope. After adding the ROPS (65 lbs behind the rear axle) I reduced the rear tire fill to 50%, which now seems about right.

/ My new old YM240 #32  
I was thinking about liquid in the fronts to help hold it down when lifting my heavy dish harrow, glad i saw your post i may just live with it now?

/ My new old YM240 #33  
I was thinking about liquid in the fronts...
I don't run liquid in the front tires of my 2 wheel drive tractors, but do in a couple of the 4 wheel drive machines. The small diameter, skinny tires wouldn't hold much liquid, at least on my tractors, so I'm happier adding suitcase weights. I think it is harder on the drivetrain parts, and puts more stress on the tractor when hitting bumps, but I just drive very carefully and bless the added traction.

/ My new old YM240 #34  
I have about 200lbs of junk that i have fixed to my front, but i still cant quite keep the front pinned down when the disk is ballested.

/ My new old YM240 #35  
B-4 installing my loader, I ran water in the fronts. I needed the weight when using my boom pole lifting logs. no water in the fronts now,but the rears are full

/ My new old YM240
TRACTOR N ME 002.jpg Me and my ''Yan Deere'' YM240 gettin' r done ;)

/ My new old YM240 #37  
NIIIIIIICCEEEEEEE

Did the 240's have an alternator or is that an after market solution to the dynamo?

/ My new old YM240
NIIIIIIICCEEEEEEE

Did the 240's have an alternator or is that an after market solution to the dynamo?
..In the manual it's called a ''A.C. generator'', it's a new ''alternator'' the previous owner had just put in, he got it from Hoye.