Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #1  

S Putnik

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM336D
Hi All,

A new-to-me Yanmar 336D was delivered to my house today. In the few minutes that I've had to play with it I've noticed that the power steering is not so powerful as I imagined it would be. It's really quite difficult to turn the wheel when the tractor is not in motion. Not having any experience with with this make and model I have no sense for what is normal and what is the result of damage or excessive wear.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any info would be much appreciated.

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #2  
As usual, I have thoughts. :D My ym2002d has the factory gearbox style power steeriing. I also have a front end loader. Setting on normal hard surface without any front end load I can spin the steering wheel. With a loader full of dirt I don't try to turn it without moving. Just saying the load you have on the front end and the surface you are turning on plays a big part. Looking at the ym336 parts manual I believe you have the same setup I have. Don't know whether I answered your question or not.

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question
Thanks Winston. You came close. On dry pavement with an empty loader my steering is hard to turn,and very hard to turn toward the extremes. The difference between your experience and mine might be that the 336 is a heavier machine using the same gearbox.

If this is just the way it is, I'm dissapointed in that I really hoped my next tractor would have power steering to reduce the strain on my shoulders. On the other hand, if it's working as designed I won't feel compelled to fix it right away. And it is still better than Shiba's Armstrong Power Steering.

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #4  
My 3110d is easy to turn even with a bucket full. Something is wrong with your ps if it's hard to turn

Thanks. Kenmac. Valuable info. So, any idea what causes that? My first guesses would be worn hydraulic pump and worn steering gear. The tractor supposedly only has 1014 hours on it.

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #6  
My 3110d is easy to turn even with a bucket full. Something is wrong with your ps if it's hard to turn

Does your 3110 have the gearbox power steering? My 2002d will turn pretty good with a bucket full to if on hard surface but it won'd in soft dirt. Talking about standing still.

Yes, gearbox power steering. Stiff on a solid surface with an empty bucket. It's downright brutal as the wheels near the travel extremes.

Any thoughts on diagnosing this? The loader works, but is a little slower to lift than I expected. It's the factory loader, original to the machine. How does one test for low hydraulic pressure?

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #8  
Does your 3110 have the gearbox power steering? My 2002d will turn pretty good with a bucket full to if on hard surface but it won'd in soft dirt. Talking about standing still.

That's right .If I remember correctly. I think I read in the manual that there is a seprate pump for ps. I'll have to look it up

Ok, It's not a seprate pump. According to the book , the hp hyd line runs through the diverter block.The book mentions something about a relief valve and a flow control valve within the diverter block. You may need to check the hp from the diverted block and see if any or how much flow you are getting to the ps

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #9  
How does one test for low hydraulic pressure?
You would have to find a HP port or cut a T into the HP line and install a guage for measuring hyd. pressure. The guage would need to go to 3500-4000 PSI

/ Yanmar 336D Power Steering Question #10  
FYI The p\s on my 336 is easy at all times. Full buckt,dry pavement,grass surface no matter,you must have an isssue. Service might be agood starting point,the screen in the back and full fluid change with new hyd oil is an inexpensive place to start,might help the ldr and the p\s

From CT