Help with new ym226D purchase

/ Help with new ym226D purchase #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
Hi everyone,

I went out and bought another yanmar this weekend, got a good deal on it but it needs a few things repaired.

I attached the pictures for reference and hoping someone can give me some advice / experience with this.

Tractor is a YM226D with Yanmar FL800 loader, US model with power steering.

1. It has a pretty steady hydraulic leak in rear where the entire rear section of tractor connects to the transmission area, it has 6 #7 bolts holding the rear to the mid section? (I guess I'm describing it right). It appears the tractor needs to be split back there to replace a seal but I do not know what the part is called, anyone help me out with what the proper repair is called for that area?

second thing, I believe I can figure out but wanted to throw it out here for any hints on where to begin, guess it could be as simple as bad ignition switch.

1. Tractor does not start with the key, the dash lights illuminate but when turned to start nothing, it will fire right up jumping solenoid to starter.

Starting it this way I leave the key turned to the on position and the "lighting bolt" dash light stays on??

I got to decide if this will replace my YM2210, that's the hardest part :eek:

Attachments

• 226trailer.jpg
    226trailer.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 426
  • leaktopview.jpg
    leaktopview.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 321
  • leakbottomview.jpg
    leakbottomview.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 276
   / Help with new ym226D purchase #2  
Check the Hyd. Vent. Sould be a U shape tube under the seat. That would be a good place to start... On your Solenoid use a test light on the Terminals and check for power to it when you turn the key on. My bet it's bad

/ Help with new ym226D purchase #3  
If I am understanding correctly about your leak I don't believe it has anything to do with a seal leak. Everything in that area should be filled with transmission fluid. Looks like a gasket leak to me. Have you tried snugging up on the bolts just making sure they are not a little loose? If the bolts are not loose I would probably shop around for some kind of a sealer, clean the area, apply the sealer and see what happens.

Need to take a voltmeter and see if you are getting voltage to the small wire on the solenoid when you turn the key to the crank position. If not, trouble shooting the system to figure out why. Good starting point might be to take a look at all the fuses. Rotate them around in the holder. These old fuse boxes are bad about loosing a good contact sometimes. I know from experience. That lightning bolt staying on sometimes was caused by a loose fuse on mine. Roll your fuses around with it running and watch the light. I can post you a wiring diagram for it if it would help.

/ Help with new ym226D purchase
Winston, you are correct, I meant gasket..i thought about draining the fluid out and cleaning and sealing that around that area externally, as i believe you are suggesting?

The guy did have the hydro level WAY to high, taking the dipstick off the fluid level is above the gears, and about 3 inches above the "level indicator area" of the dipstick..

It looks like a pretty big project unhooking everything including the loader to pull that area apart and replace the gasket :eek:

The starting issue was the battery, it checked at 12.06 Volts, its enough to start it by jumping the solenoid, but not enough juice through the switch, put my battery from my 2210 in it and it fired right up, the charging light does not go out though, so I checked the battery with tractor running and it is not charging..

so which would it be, voltage regulator or alternator?

/ Help with new ym226D purchase #5  
The 226 has the little dynamo like mine. Not much to them and little to go wrong other than bearings. You can check the voltage on the two wires coming off it with a voltage meter set on ac volts. It should read 18 maybe more ac volts with the engine running 1500 or so. If you have that then make sure that voltage is getting to the regulator. If so, then see what dc voltage is coming out of the regulator. If not more than battery voltage it is probably bad.

Does anyone know what the part number is for that gasket? I don't see it on Hoye.

a parts manual in pdf form would make my day,,if anyone has it

Also, as a temporary fix, any recommendation on what the best product/sealant is for use on the exterior to seal that crack?

Fluid drips even when the tractor is parked. just a steady drip every 20 or so seconds.

Oh and if anyone is interested in a YM2210 with allied Loader let me know

/ Help with new ym226D purchase #8  
Does anyone know what the part number is for that gasket? I don't see it on Hoye.

a parts manual in pdf form would make my day,,if anyone has it

Also, as a temporary fix, any recommendation on what the best product/sealant is for use on the exterior to seal that crack?

Fluid drips even when the tractor is parked. just a steady drip every 20 or so seconds.

Click on the first item on this google page and you can download your parts manual. lozeman yanmar 220 - Google Search

If your gasket is reference #31 on figure 40 of the parts manual (194420-24120) here is the gasket. http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? I may be in the wrong place, you can determine that.

Well copying that part number didn't work. You can just type in that part number in the Hoyes part "search" field and it will bring it up for you.

/ Help with new ym226D purchase #9  
Just curious, I notice the parts manual doesn't shown power steering. Is your power steering a cylinder assist type? Maybe added later? Or is it the factory gearbox power steering?

Just curious, I notice the parts manual doesn't shown power steering. Is your power steering a cylinder assist type? Maybe added later? Or is it the factory gearbox power steering?

It is a cylinder, so likely added later..I have no way of knowing. works nice though

Thanks for the parts manual link! and yes that is the exact gasket that is leaking...any chance you got info on how to make that repair?

Now what about sealing it on the outside with a sealer? bad idea?