YM 1700 cylinder sleeve

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #21  
I mentioned getting spray oil on it already the other day time is always needed for that to work just saying. ;) These have been in a long time so quite a lot of pressure will undoubtedly be necessary cheater pipe level. Heat wont hurt either the expansion and consequent shrinking will certainly help free it up. Dry ice another good idea especially once it loosens a bit.

A hydraulic jack to push up on the liner using the tool you made as something to push against would certainly help I think. Id sure tape up the rod journals REAL GOOD if you do it though. Leave tension on it all the time 24 hrs a day also I would anyway. You could run a chain around under the jack and over the frame will keep the tractor from lifting is an idea for extra force.

Take this with salt but if you did have a jack under the liner and pressure on it you could conceivably take a good thick board across the block near the liner top and smack it with a big hammer CAREFULLY! You might have to remove studs but that shouldn't be difficult.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve
Ive put PB on it but not with the frequency I will now. Thanks for the cheater bar comment that lets me know I need to put a lot of pressure. If my gizmo isnt enough I will add the jack, and then dry ice.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #23  
IMHO. I'd already have the Dry Ice in it.Wrap it up and let it sit over night and it will come out. Then let the New one sit in the Freezer with Dry Ice overnight when you go to install it;)

We will see what happens tonight. I dont work this Friday so I was planning on picking up dry ice Thursday on my way home. Ive never messed with dry ice....I do know it will burn you. How long will it last? Will it last overnight in GA? Have you ever used it? That block is pretty warm from sitting in the sun all day, I dont have a shop, just a pine tree. My luck is- I pack it full, go to bed and wake up to an empty cylinder.

Finally got word from the shop that had the head....Cracked between both of the valve seats. Not the news I wanted but it is the news I got. Really changes nothing, sleeves must come out. I have been working at removing a sleeve and still no luck. Dry ice is proving to be harder to locate than I thought. I swear I thought they had it a the grocery store here. Guess I was mistaken. I have been able to put an unbelievable amount of pressure on the sleeve, and it has moved, but only a fraction. It was suggested to cap off bottom radiator port and fill block with diesel fuel, let it soak two weeks and try again. In the end this is what I will accomplish new head, sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, and gaskets. Then a coat of paint a viola new tractor. Here is the good side. I have a head I can reassemble and learn on.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #27  
   / YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #28  
Ive never messed with dry ice....I do know it will burn you. How long will it last? Will it last overnight in GA? Have you ever used it? That block is pretty warm from sitting in the sun all day, I dont have a shop, just a pine tree. My luck is- I pack it full, go to bed and wake up to an empty cylinder.
We used to take ice cream packed in dry ice when camping up at the mining claim. In an ordinary ice chest with blankets over it, the ice cream stayed rock-hard for 3~5 days and there was still some of the dry ice brick left. So even in your warm climate, I think you could buy it the day before use. Same morning would waste less of it. Store it in the household freezer, well insulated, before use.

Loosening the sleeve by shrinking depends on a temperature difference between the block and the sleeve - warm block expands, cold sleeve shrinks. So I think overnight chilling is too long. The block would also be cold by then.

Just getting the injectors out of my YM240 required cheater bars etc. I expect you will need something considerably bigger (more torque) than a lug wrench, to loosen a sleeve. CarDoc's idea of assisting with a jack sounds efficient - and scary. :(

Good luck with this!

Right now I have vise grips locked on nut and turning with 24in pipe. There is some serious pressure on that sleeve. So I will get two clamp on light with heat bulbs' heat the block overnight, those bulbs put off some heat. Set up the jack this evening. Get dry ice tomorrow and fill up sleeve that should provide a big temp difference will report back

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #30  
I dont know what your puller looks like but on automotive type pullers the screw usually has a heavy head on them so you can pound on them with a hammer once there is as much pressure as you can put on them. We tighten the heck out of them and whack them with a hammer and that helps a lot on ball joints to jar things loose. Dont miss and hit block or a new block will be needed too. hth

edit: I suspect most of your drag is at the top fwtw the bottom has o-ring or 2 and has oil under that and that part of the liner would have nice clean machine work and has been in oil all its life. Even if it had straight water over in Japan and the liners were rusted bad the bottom would or should be still as good as new. Personally I would heat around the top inch inside with a torch with pressure on it and I would bet a case of beer I could get it out.

Last edited: