YM 1700 cylinder sleeve

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #1  

puresol

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1700
Should the cylinder sleeve be flush with the top of the block? One of mine is slightly raised, maybe a 32nd. Can it be re-seated?

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #2  
It is suppose to be raised. Someone with a repair manual for your engine will need to give you the tolerance. For instance, I know the 135/155 engines are to be .0019" to .0051" projection.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve
I have a shop manual will see what I can find. One is raised slightly one is flush.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #4  
Bingo that would explain the head gasket now we have to determine why the sleeve is flush.

Hmmm....Does that mean I need to buy some dry ice? Where do I start in making that deterination? Guess its not as easy-but costly- as just buying new sleeves. The cylinder that is flush is the one that was filled with coolant.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #6  
There is a shoulder cut into the block for a matching shoulder on the sleeve to fit in and o-rings to seal it from coolant leaks into the crankcase. Something is not right possibly with the back cut or the sleeve itself hopefully its the sleeve, only way to know is get the sleeve out.

Have you looked at Hoye's website here is pics of what it looks like? Your manual should probably go into sleeve replacement.

So the number 2 sleeve (#2 piston had exhaust valve mark on it) has some projection in 2 certain spots. But not even and not all the way around. Number 1 sleeve has no projection, it was filled with coolant. Fire ring on head gasket was loose at number 1. Fellow at Hoye recommended I check for crack in block between cylinders. I scrubed it with a scotch brite pad and no crack was detected, but that was visual and only from overhead. Could the crack be microscopic and only open when the engine is hot? Seems to me that if the shop manual give you tolerances there is wear expected. Perhaps it is as simple as new sleeves- the old ones are worn out. I will start working on sleeve removal tomorrow.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #8  
Since those sleeves are sealed with o-rings they might possibly come out without a lot of trouble. Maybe? :D

Sounds good to me Winston1.....But those arent the kind of stories Ive been reading. Went to auto parts store-no sleeve puller. Have read about some homemade gizmo's, need to find the pictures so I can make something. I will try dry ice first.

/ YM 1700 cylinder sleeve #10  
Sounds good to me Winston1.....But those arent the kind of stories Ive been reading. Went to auto parts store-no sleeve puller. Have read about some homemade gizmo's, need to find the pictures so I can make something. I will try dry ice first.

Here is a great thread from fellow member Domush. It is long but full of good information. Post #107 on page 11 starts showing his home made sleeve puller. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/235280-ym336d-started-knocking-loud-while-11.html