2000 won't crank.

/ 2000 won't crank.
we thought of that, my biggest socket is too small. Anyone know what the crank nut size is?

have not disassembled anything.. ran fine when parked (famous words!).

I'd really like to get some solvent in there. try not to score the liners too much.

/ 2000 won't crank. #12  
Pull the eshaust off, its only like 4 nuts then it will come off. There is just a fiber or heat/exhaust gasket under there, i think there 12mm nuts?

/ 2000 won't crank. #13  
That manifold comes off with only 4 bolts, as Clemson said, and then there is direct access to the exhaust ports. This may also help tip you off if water has gotten down inside the exhaust.

If you're to the point you are convinced there is something amiss inside the engine, why not just pull the head so you can see what the situation is inside? Then you can see how bad the situation is directly. Head gaskets are reasonably affordable. Yanmar Tractor Parts: HEAD GASKET YM2000

It would be worth it to me to pull the starter and verify the clunking is the starter getting jammed against the flywheel, and not merely the solenoid clunking. My solenoid is loud and clunks the drive gear into place with authority; you may just have starter problems.

I would also make sure there's nothing else that could possibly be jamming up the engine. Does the water pump turn freely? Is the hydraulic lift lever in the lower position? The tractor is for sure in neutral? If all those factors pass, and the starter actually does work properly, I don't see much other choice but to pull the head.

My YM2000 and both my YM240s have a trio of fairly small (12mm heads or so; I think they are 8 mm grip diameter) bolts on the front of the crankshaft pulley. All of mine will turn over, especially with the compression release activated, merely by a box end wrench on one of those bolts. Your pulley may be threaded for those bolts already, and you could thread one in and see if that works.

/ 2000 won't crank. #14  
When you piull the starter take a pry bar or a large screwdriver and try to move the fly wheel. That will pretty much tell you if yuor Eng, is Locked up. If it don;t move Follow 284's Ex advise,,,;)

/ 2000 won't crank. #15  
Or you can put it in high gear and pull it with your truck to see if the motor turns or the wheels just skid. But if its that stuck your going to have to pull the pan and head, tap out the pistons hone the cyl if not bad and get new rings and possibly pistons. Really bad you will be putting liners in it and may as well put new bearing in it as well.

/ 2000 won't crank. #16  
Like 284 suggested....I think you have a stuck clutch...When you leave a tractor parked for long periods it is best to block your clutch pedal down...I suggest you do a search on TBN for " Stuck Clutch " and you will find all the information you need....On getting it started...My bet is a fuel filter problem...Good Luck - Post back

/ 2000 won't crank. #17  
Or you can put it in high gear and pull it with your truck to see if the motor turns or the wheels just skid.

I learned that my YM2000 wouldn't turn the engine over when being towed unless the compression release was activated. This was before it had wheel weights and filled tires. If you try this, make sure to go VERY slow, in high gear, and make sure the compression release is activated.

On getting it started...My bet is a fuel filter problem...Good Luck - Post back

Brin,
sdetweil can't get his tractor engine to turn over at all. He's suspicious the engine is somehow seized. While I agree with you a fuel filter and proper air bleeding is perhaps the single most common problem, he is not yet to a point where that is a concern. He needs to get the engine spinning first, and he's stuck at that point. The stuck clutch theory is only relevant if he has the machine in gear somehow.

/ 2000 won't crank. #18  
hey guy's! Is it possible for enough rain water could have got inside the cylinders to cause a Hydro-lock? Just a thought since the tractor has been out in the weather for some time, plus I've had it to happen with air cooled lawn tractor gas engines when the auto fuel shut off stop working, and the fuel tank being higher than the carburetor, it allowed the fuel to flow and fill the engine cylinder as well as the crankcase, But with having a compression release and a good strong battery along with removing the exhaust manifold it should push out any liquid in the cylinders, Right!

/ 2000 won't crank. #19  
hey guy's! Is it possible for enough rain water could have got inside the cylinders to cause a Hydro-lock? Just a thought since the tractor has been out in the weather for some time, plus I've had it to happen with air cooled lawn tractor gas engines when the auto fuel shut off stop working, and the fuel tank being higher than the carburetor, it allowed the fuel to flow and fill the engine cylinder as well as the crankcase, But with having a compression release and a good strong battery along with removing the exhaust manifold it should push out any liquid in the cylinders, Right!

Yea spinning it with comp release engaged will allow the pistons to spin freely and push all the excess fuel out harmlessly is this was the case.

My needle on my lawmower got gelled up while i was cutting. I put more fuel in it cause i thought this was the problem and when i got back to the mower i had fuel leaking out of the carb air cleaner. It was flooded but there is a drain in the air filter so that they usually dont hydro lock. It was really flooded bit i got it turned over after i disasembled the carb and pulled the needle and got the goo off of it??? Darn ethonol fuel!

Also if it was a stuck clutch it would still crank, i dont think many of the ym2000's have a clutch safety even if so depressing the petal would eliminate that. My tractor in gear with compression release pulled will roll foward from just the starter power.

/ 2000 won't crank. #20  
Yea spinning it with comp release engaged will allow the pistons to spin freely and push all the excess fuel out harmlessly is this was the case.

My needle on my lawmower got gelled up while i was cutting. I put more fuel in it cause i thought this was the problem and when i got back to the mower i had fuel leaking out of the carb air cleaner. It was flooded but there is a drain in the air filter so that they usually dont hydro lock. It was really flooded bit i got it turned over after i disasembled the carb and pulled the needle and got the goo off of it??? Darn ethonol fuel!

In the case with my mower after thinking the battery was low I put the charger on it, it didn't help, so the next thing was to pull the spark plug, as I removed the plug gas started flowing from the plug hole, Wow! I then tried turning it over again, even though it did spin over faster something just didn't seem right with the way it sound, I notice the gas tank was empty, and it certainly didn't run out setting there,
Oh but it did! run out into the engines crankcase, I pulled the dipstick and it was way way above normal level, Next I spun off the oil filter and oil/gas flowed out and smelled more like gas than oil, then I drain the crankcase, did a quick research on why this could happen,
was the ( fuel shutoff solenoid ) replaced it and fired right up,
Not to get this confused with the OP problem,
but in reply to a lawn mower engine block can in fact be filled with fuel,;) This type mower ( Craftsman )were built throughout the late 90's, when the fuel solenoid shut offs were first being used, along with elevated fuel tanks, could allow fuel to flow by gravity, should have put a shut-off at the tank, evidently this was an ongoing problem which result in the new design, By relocating and lowering the fuel tanks and installing fuel pumps, Now an engine must be started in order to pump fuel into the carburetor,

Last edited: