2000 won't crank.

/ 2000 won't crank. #1  

sdetweil

Tractor
yanmar 2000
I have a 2000 that i bought in 2008 to mow my 5 acres . it was a learning experience, but I can move faster with a riding mower.. so haven't used it much..
once or twice a summer, start, move to a new location, mow where it was.. repeat.

this year it won't turn over.. battery freshly charged. like its stuck in gear. started motor tries to turn.. nothing..

on a car, I would pull the plugs, and maybe squirt some tranny fluid in, thinking the rings are seized.

I don't remember where the compression release lever is.. will have to go check that.
pto shaft turns, and both engine and tranny oil look clean, no signs of water.

the generator can be turned under the belt.

there is a hard thunk, when the starter tries to turn.
air cleaner was new and looks good..

ideas welcomed

live in texas,

Last edited:
   / 2000 won't crank. #2  
Welcome aboard. :welcome: Not that it makes any difference but your profile is showing a 2200 and your thread a 2000. Is your exhaust able to take on rain? Do you think it has gotton water in the engine any way?

One old timers way to free up a stuck engine is to jack up one rear wheel, put transmission in a high gear are rock the tire back and forth You can apply a pretty good force this way.

/ 2000 won't crank. #3  
Water in exhaust is a good thought. Deisels usually don't just seize up unless there is water. I am guessing the starter is engaging so we can rule that out.

The comp release is under the dash to the left on a 2000. It a metal rod in an " L" shape.

/ 2000 won't crank. #4  
Might want to check all battery cables and terminations. The cables can corrode under the insulation and cause the symptoms you describe.

/ 2000 won't crank.
thanks.. fixed my profile..

Yes its possible the exhaust got rain.. its never been covered.

jack and rock.. good, thanks.. any idea how I might get come fluids down in there? short of taking the exhaust off

/ 2000 won't crank.
yes, we replaced the ignition switch, and had the battery charged.. we get a good hard pound when we turn the key.. starter fires, and Thunk..
found the compression release, thanks.

/ 2000 won't crank.
thanks.. I think the battery/cable/starter connection are good.

I will try the rocking approach mentioned above.

/ 2000 won't crank. #8  
Be sure and use the compression release in case there is water on top of the pistons. :thumbsup:

/ 2000 won't crank. #9  
You can also put a wrench onto the crank pulley and turn the engine over that way, if you don't have a stable jack that will reach high enough to elevate from one axle housing. I'd also make absolutely sure that the transmission is in neutral; you may have a stuck clutch. It is possible to remove the top cover of the transmission and reassemble it incorrectly, putting the transmission in two gears at the same time, and making it impossible to drive the machine, so if you've pulled the top cover off since you last operated the machine, that's a possibility too.

/ 2000 won't crank.
thanks.. compression release enabled...