Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

Default YM336 stopped moving when I shifted the power shift lever

My tractor suddenly stopped moving today when I shifted the power shift lever from 2 to 3 (w/o clutching). It stopped moving and it made a horrible grinding noise. Disengaging the clutch makes the noise stop. I pushed the power shift lever to 2, 1, neutral, changed range etc the tractor wouldn't move and the noise is there as soon as I engage the clutch. I can move the power and range shift levers freely, the transmission oil level is full. I changed the transmission oil and hydraulic filter and cleaned the suction screen about 30hrs ago. I was harrowing a sandy area with 4 diamond harrows when it happened. I own the YM336D for about 5 years and have put on 200 hrs (it has 950hrs total) moving snow, haying about 15 acres each year and moving some dirt.

There is no Yanmar dealer here. I've fixed my share of tractors but I'm new to Yanmar and I'm looking for hints. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks,

Felix

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

Default Re: YM336 stopped moving when I shifted the power shift lever

You probably stripped the spline coupler where the clutch shaft attaches to the trans.(if you are lucky)
    You will have to split the tractor to replace it.If you are in high range,and shift from 2 to 3,it just slams in gear,and I always use the clutch,and let off the throttle. I don't care what they say,something is going to break if it slams into gear.
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like something might be stripped.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

just in case you don't have it, the 336 parts manual. I believe reference 34, figure 37 is the coupling Barry 1 is talking about. http://downloads.pfgaustralia.com.au...r/Y00T2140.pdf

Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

Thanks! I downloaded the parts manual, very helpful.

Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

I split the tractor and the coupler is stripped. So I guess I'm lucky. Got to get the parts now. But first I want to check clutch wear etc.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Glad to hear its that piece and not something serious! Barry nailed that one nice contribution sir!
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Yanmar 336D

I finally got the parts and found time to put everything back together. the tractor is as good as new. I installed an new coupler, disc and throughout bearing. Thanks for all your tips and help it's much appreciated.

Tractor
    yanmar

Have problems with yanmar ym 336d power shift slipping in 2 & 3 power shift. Check transmission oil pressure cold reverse & 1 216 psi 2nd 116, 3rd 90 psi 1500 rpm as tractor warms up reverse &1 211 psi, 2 nd , 82 psi, 3 rd, 65 psi, need help to solve problem mike @ mike,melenka@rjvnet,ca

Tractor
    now YM2610 retired JD 850

Quote Originally Posted by Melenka View Post
    Have problems with yanmar ym 336d power shift slipping in 2 & 3 power shift. Check transmission oil pressure cold reverse & 1 216 psi 2nd 116, 3rd 90 psi 1500 rpm as tractor warms up reverse &1 211 psi, 2 nd , 82 psi, 3 rd, 65 psi, need help to solve problem mike @ mike,melenka@rjvnet,ca
    Have you replaced or changed the hydraulic filter? The filter is like a long tube with an olefin membrane. Usually, it's found at the rear of the tractor with a 3 bolt pattern cover. Make sure to have at least a 8-gallon or more bucket under there. Clean the area around it too before starting. NEVER back flush the olefin membrane filter, doing so will destroy it. If you have a fine mesh strainer, strain the oil and use again. Drive a little while and repeat to take out the inside nasty shavings and junk. Look at the Hoye tips and helps down the left column about this filter too.

Also, if the above did not work, you may need to get a new hydraulic pump. Others here who have been through this could chime in on this topic.
    YM2610
    DYT4000
    retired JD850

Green acres is the life for me. lol

Nashville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast