Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #11  
I think Coldwater is in the Seattle region. But that's still quite a distance from you.

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability
Yeah, probably about the same distance. :thumbdown:

After really looking at the damaged parts, Its pretty obvious that the ball bearings popping out
caused all the damage to the Gears, so I decided to go ahead get the parts from Coldwater.
I'll update how things go once I get the parts in and put this baby to work.
I'm probably going to do a little cosmetic tweaking on it as well as there are a lot of bent parts etc.
that I'm sure a well place hammering would make great improvement.
Again, I want to thank everyone for your insight and contacts towards finding these parts.
Now to figure out how to pull that top bearing.
Can anyone give me a hint or two on best process for doing that?
Thanks
945683_10201519268527747_396758428_n.jpg

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #14  
Let me ramble a bit on what I think. I see two alternatives. First, with some of the balls missing and possibility of removing all the balls you then might be able to get a small pulling tool through to pull the inner bearing race off and then the outer.

If that doesn't work I believe you will have to pull the lower bearing and gear in order to remove the entire gear housing. I wouldn't doubt that lower gear box seal is leaking anyway. Can you tell? I am basing all this just looking at your pictures. Maybe it will put ideas in your head. I'm betting on your success.:thumbsup:

Let me ramble a bit on what I think. I see two alternatives. First, with some of the balls missing and possibility of removing all the balls you then might be able to get a small pulling tool through to pull the inner bearing race off and then the outer.

If that doesn't work I believe you will have to pull the lower bearing and gear in order to remove the entire gear housing. I wouldn't doubt that lower gear box seal is leaking anyway. Can you tell? I am basing all this just looking at your pictures. Maybe it will put ideas in your head. I'm betting on your success.:thumbsup:

Ok, I think I may have stumbled onto a problem, which I'm surprised it took me till now to find....
I'm looking at this diagram...
111tillergearsbearings.jpg
Am I correct in assuming that there are bearings on the outside of all 4 of these gears?
When I took the cover off this case, the top gear had no bearing on it, it just had the clip holding in the gear, and you could see the bearing behind it missing balls.
IF this is correct, and there is supposed to be a bearing on the outside of the gear as the other 3, I wonder how long this unit ran without it being there, and would I be correct to assume that the missing bearing on the outside may have contributed to the inner one self destructing?
Your input please.
Thanks

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #16  
I definitely don't know anything but just looking at your pictures I don't see enough shaft length or machined surface for a bearing to go outside the top gear. Does the outer bearing housing have a machined area to accept a bearing?

I definitely don't know anything but just looking at your pictures I don't see enough shaft length or machined surface for a bearing to go outside the top gear. Does the outer bearing housing have a machined area to accept a bearing?

Ok, After inspection AGAIN LOL There is a place on the cover to allow a bearing to fit in, but, it doesn't look look there is adequate length on that top shaft for a bearing to fit completely onto it. (dang I should have taken more pictures) When Coldwater takes apart the tiller to get the used bearings out to send me, I'll have to have them check and see how that one is setting.
I'll report this evening with more pictures as well.
Thanks Winston1
Any other information from other members is sincerely appreciated.

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #18  
I would think the top shaft would have a smooth machined surface instead of a splined surface if a bearing were supposed to go there. The top shaft is also supported with two bearings. One back at the angle gearbox and the other behind the gear. Seems like that should be sufficient. Just another thought.:2cents:

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #19  
I'm looking at this diagram...
View attachment 327348
Am I correct in assuming that there are bearings on the outside of all 4 of these gears?

Thanks

I would say, according to the posted diagram,, there is a bearing on the outside of 1 st gear just like the others

/ Yanmar Tiller Identification and Parts availability #20  
Considering what Coldwater wanted for the two gears alone, I don't think buying a whole unit, and then the shipping to get it from Texas to Wisconsin would be a cost effect solution.
I too have heard these tillers are literally bomb proof. I just wonder if anyone has ever heard of one where the gears have broken. It seems to me something else would have broken first. Even the PTO gear box I would think would break before those gears on the side.
When I took off the top gear the PTO shaft and drive turned freely, and the tines/rod turned well until it got to the bad spot on the second gear.

Cold water is in the pacific north west, Washington state I believe??? Hoye is in texas.