couldnt resist, ym1700

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
Well I bought myself ym1700 today, has brand new set of turfs from hoye on it. Thing looks mint condition, 1042 hours..I like it a lot.

One thing..running it around the yard not working it the temp reads 205 degrees with temp gun..isn't that a bit high, it looks like its all antifreeze in it. I plan to replace with mostly water. I read the ones without water pump run a bit hotter?

I like the H/L And gear shifter..simple. got original rims and tires to!
IMG_20130709_202030_398.jpg

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #2  
That is beautiful. I wish Yanmars were plentiful like that out here.

Here's temp observations I posted long ago for my YM240 (YM2000). Readings were made with a HF infrared thermometer just after the engine had been working hard:

This was right after mowing:

140 degrees on the bottom of the oil pan, 165 at the lower block, and 195 near the injectors, at the upper radiator hose fitting, and at the radiator upper tank. The radiator lower tank was below 100.

I think Thermosyphon runs hotter than pumped but still, your sounds hot. Maybe a clogged radiator?

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #3  
Wow, what a clean little machine! I'm interested to hear your comparisons of that machine versus the others you have had.

I don't know if that temperature is too warm or not. The specification for the coolant to water ratio is different than usual, 1:3, so if the coolant has more antifreeze in it than should be there, that may explain a little higher temperature.

From another forum, Wayne of LMTC shared this:
"Jeff, our experience is that the high humidity/temp combos in the Ohio River valley are tough on these tractors, which have a relatively small cooling capacity. IF...and ONLY IF....you will absolutely change to a more freeze-protecting solution before cold weather....try this for summer. 1/2 bottle of Redline Water Wetter, 1 quart of high quality ethylene glycol coolant, fill with water (app. 3 quarts). Even better, but a few more $$....sub the proper amount of RMI 25 (something like 1/2 cup) for the coolant. We have found the blend of RMI-25, Redline, and water runs 20 degrees or more below a typical glycol coolant blend----but it will not protect the engine from freezing."

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #4  
Nice.....congrats and enjoy.!!:thumbsup:

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #5  
Wow that is a nice clean little tractor you are one lucky guy with apparently that many to choose from! That could be a nice addition to anyone's maintenance fleet as a mowing tractor. I have only seen one YM around here it was a beat up 1510 with a bad engine I never even bid on it at the farm auction.

/ couldnt resist, ym1700
Wow that is a nice clean little tractor you are one lucky guy with apparently that many to choose from! That could be a nice addition to anyone's maintenance fleet as a mowing tractor. I have only seen one YM around here it was a beat up 1510 with a bad engine I never even bid on it at the farm auction.

Well, they are not as plentiful as it appears, just lately a lot have shown up for sale, may go months before seeing another. Well, I take that back, they are for sale in my area weekly but not many good deals like in the past. Most people ask way to much for them.

It came with a overrun clutch already on it, so its ready to mow. I will keep in awhile and use it to mow about 30 acres. Then again, if I see something else I want Ill sell it to free up some cash. debating getting a finish mower for it and replacing my craftsman mower, (which cost almost as much new :thumbdown:), yet will never outlast this yanmar!

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #7  
That is a dream mowing tractor if ever there was one! :thumbsup: And yes I totally agree the price of a new rider or z turn is ridiculous compared to one of these for what you get its no comparison at all.

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #8  
Well, they are not as plentiful as it appears, just lately a lot have shown up for sale, may go months before seeing another. Well, I take that back, they are for sale in my area weekly but not many good deals like in the past. Most people ask way to much for them.

It came with a overrun clutch already on it, so its ready to mow. I will keep in awhile and use it to mow about 30 acres. Then again, if I see something else I want Ill sell it to free up some cash. debating getting a finish mower for it and replacing my craftsman mower, (which cost almost as much new :thumbdown:), yet will never outlast this yanmar!

I mow about 2 acres with a 72" finish mower bnehind the 2000. thats a fine combo if you stay after the grass semi weekly but i only get that way every month or 2 and it is overkill size then. It will roll the smoke and pull it down when i get to the thick spots i have to drop a gear and or take 5ft bites to let the motor stay up. But still i use less than 1.5 gallons of deisel to mow what takes almost 5 gallons of gas in the 42" rider.

I dont look enough i guess. id love to buy these things and then pick um up to resell to hunters to make a few hundred here and there. I think cause you had some vn dealers up your way in the past and maybe still do you see a good bit as they are now maybe approaching 5-10 years old from original purchaser.

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #9  
Nice Ym1700 :thumbsup: The rear tires are not exactly full turf, But do look like would be easier on the grass yet still aggressive enough for traction in soil ;)

The temp is a bit high for normal, mine has a temp gauge that shows 190* under heavy load use, about 185* for normal use,
Short of having to drain the complete system, Try reducing the antifreeze ratio and add in a bit more water,
and always keep the radiator clean,
I'm 4 years into using my 1700 and it never ceases to amaze me the task this size tractor is capable of doing,
Let me know if you ever what to put a FEL on it, I have designed/fabricated a Sub-frame system that will reinforce this tractor and takes the worry out of breaking things,;)

/ couldnt resist, ym1700 #10  
My YM1700 would run about that hot under heavy load, even with the recommended antifreeze mix. The nice thing about the thermosiphon system is that it pumps faster as the temperature gets higher (because the difference between hot and cold sides is greater.) I was concerned about it running so hot, but I never had a problem related to that.