Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali

/ Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #1  

284 International

Veteran Member
Tractor
International Harvester 284
Awhile ago my regular browsing of various classified services led me to a new tractor. It's a Pasquali 997, made in Italy sometime in the late 1970s/early 80s. It's not a Yanmar, but since it is in the stable with nearly all Yanmar machines, comparisons were inevitable, and I thought it might be interesting to people here.

It's an odd machine, obviously built by a company with a different set of design intentions and priorities than traditional tractor manufacturers. To wit, the machine is, apart from massive width due to the tires, perhaps a bit smaller than my YM1401D. Their wheelbases are the same, the Pasquali sits a little bit lower overall, and their widths with conventional tires are approximately equal; the Pasquali can be a little bit narrower. Both are diesel powered, gear driven, 4 wheel drive machines. But apart from that, they are more different than similar. With the loader, the Pasquali is a little bit shorter overall than the YM1401D. The seat of the Pasquali is a couple inches lower. For size reference, the tiller on the back of the Yanmar is 42 inches outside to outside, and the box blade on the Pasquali is 66 inches wide. The Pasquali tractor is 60 inches wide with these tires. Both have buckets 47 1/2" wide.

The Pasquali is a center-articulating, permanent 4 wheel drive machine. This unit uses two massive hydraulic cylinders to provide steering power completely hydraulically, though apparently some were made with manual steering. The Ruggerini engine is air-cooled, and massively powerful: The machine is rated at 31 PTO horsepower, more than double my Yanmar! The engine is a wonder, frankly. It is a big twin cylinder, and bangs to life instantly without any preheating from glow plugs or spinning up with compression release. (The engine has compression release levers on the valve cover, but they are not connected by Pasquali.)

The air-cooled aspect is wonderfully appealing to me: It seems that a majority of compact tractors run into engine trouble when their 30 year old radiators finally corrode sufficiently to inhibit cooling. The engines overheat, pop a head gasket, and can ruin the bottom end from the subsequent coolant leak. The air cooled aspect bypasses all these concerns, naturally. The cooling fan is just like a massive lawn mower engine, mounted at the front of the crankshaft with ducting to carry air around the cylinders. It blows copious amounts of air, and a fringe benefit is it dilutes the diesel exhaust since they exit very near one another.

The transmission is a 3 + 1 speed, 3 range transmission yielding a total of 9 ratios forward and 3 in reverse, with a nice assortment of speeds and ratios to be fairly user-friendly for most purposes, within the limitations of gear transmission expectations.

Now it gets strange: The tractor has multiple (3) PTO speeds, not unusual of course. It has a 540 and 750 RPM settings, but then it also has a ground-speed PTO gear, that matches PTO RPM to driveshaft speed. This allows powered trailers to be connected and obtain the same input shaft speed as the rest of the tractor. But there's more:
997 Rear.jpg

There are actually TWO PTO outputs. The top, circled in green, is a female splined, clockwise rotating PTO shaft. Below, circled in red, is a counterclockwise rotating male splined shaft. Both are capable of the three different PTO settings, though not independently of one another. An adapter slips into the top PTO drive to allow normal 1 3/8" PTO implements to be powered. The rear hitch is a more-or-less conventional Category I hitch.

The control arrangement is the most frustrating aspect of this machine. The stereotype of Italians is that their hands are constantly aflutter with gesticulation; I've never been to Italy, so can't speak about that, but the expectations of their tractor operators would seem to imply it may be accurate. There are two pedals only: A clutch on the left, and a single brake pedal, operating two rear drums brakes. The remainder of the controls are all hand operated, and they are in odd places.

Left side controls.jpg

The steering column and part of the steering wheel can be seen in the upper right corner; this is looking at the left side of the machine. The red marked lever activates the front axle's differential lock. (Open differential in the rear, no locking ability) The green marked lever operates the three point lift. The blue marked lever is one of the PTO gear levers, selecting 540, neutral, or 750 RPM. The lift control is horribly obnoxious to me. It is forward and low; difficult to reach even for me, taller than average. It is impossible to reach the lever and look behind at the implement. Additionally, because it is operated by the same hand as the differential lock, it is impossible to both control the implement lift and simultaneously engage the differential lock, as might be required when working with box blade rippers, a heavy 3 point disk, etc.

The right hand operates the gear shifts on the right side of the dash board, with the speed selector and range box. The right hand also operates a mechanical parking brake under the seat (marked blue), while on the left side under the seat is the ground speed PTO control (marked red).
997 seat controls.jpg

Operating the tractor is odd. With the loader out front, even with the massively heavy box blade out back, the machine steers by swinging the hind end of the tractor around, rather than directing the front of the tractor as does a conventional tractor. The machine also rotates about a pivot at the center of the machine to allow contact over rougher terrain. This provides a very unconventional feeling compared to regular tractors. When using the loader, a normal tractor will arc around the rear tire inside the turn. The articulated machine slides sideways in the rear, around the inside front tire. This feels much different in operation than a regular tractor. The rear of the machine circumscribes an arc wider than the front of the tractor. This isn't better or worse, merely different.

Proponents of the articulating design claim it is more maneuverable than a traditional front steering only tractor. I am unconvinced. Without turning brakes, the two tractors seem to require about the same area to turn, making allowance for the marked difference in width, naturally.

The pulling power of the machine is astonishing. The tractor is claimed to weigh somewhere around 1900 pounds with these tires. The loader adds another 780 lbs. The wide, low pressure but cleated tires have tremendous grip in my conditions, and the massively powerful engine loafs even pulling the large, heavy box blade full of heavy clay soil. The low profile and power steering make it easy to operate around trees and small areas. The wide tires are cumbersome, however, and while they give tremendous stability on side hills, they keep the tractor from being able to drive into its own loader bucket width.

Compared to the similarly sized Yanmar, there are some benefits, and some drawbacks. The huge power in comparison is wonderful. It's more than half again as powerful as a YM240/2000. The air cooled diesel is better, as well. The main shortcomings are stupidity in design, from my perspective. For instance, in spite of the husky engine, the fuel tank is significantly smaller than the Yanmar's. It is barely larger than a regular sized battery. The tank's fuel fill, with the loader, is unreasonably difficult to fill. It sits DIRECTLY under the crossmember for the loader, with barely 4 inches of clearance. The hood will not raise up much when mounted with a loader, making access virtually impossible. The Yanmar, in contrast, is easily accessed at all of the service points. The Yanmar is easier to use: The arrangement of some controls to the feet (like the differential lock) eases operator load, and the lift control at the right hip lets the operator see the implement while also manipulating its height.

The Pasquali is not amenable to this; it somewhat makes up for that trait through sheer muscularity: If the tractor doesn't bog down there's no reason to reduce the load. It makes finish grading difficult, however. I have not yet run the machine for hour after hour, so am still adjusting to the specific techniques to best utilize the tractor. It is definitely less user friendly, but has some strengths that other machines do not. It seems to be well built and tailored to certain techniques of farming, but is not something I have felt to be "better" than traditional machines. Stupid shortcomings like the fuel fill are utterly infuriating, and would not be seen on any other factory designed loader for a tractor, while wonderful traits like the engine make it magnificent.

Last edited:
   / Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #2  
Thanks for sharing this. Never seen one of those for sure. How did you happen to come across it and are there many or any of those around?? Do you suppose parts are available for it?

/ Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali
I found it on craigslist; another friend actually owns the same model. Parts are available but not prevalent. The air filter is an oil bath, so no problem there. I bought a new hydraulic pump to replace the leaking one, and engine rebuild parts and clutches are available as well. Oil filters are somewhat problematic in that they are not an in-stock item at the parts store, but they are available.

I have no idea how many of them were made or imported. There are a multitude of models by Pasquali, which differ according to a variety of engine offerings, frame sizes, and various permutations of those combinations. This model actually isn't even the most powerful offering in this frame size.

They are neat, but weird. Like the Italian motorcycles I've seen, some bits of it are absolutely marvelous, but other, basic things (Like hitch control placement and fuel fill arrangement) were so badly mucked up I wonder how the designer managed to make themselves breakfast in the morning...

Here is a copy of an original brochure for this model.

997-page-0.jpg 997-page-1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #4  
284- you have *all* the toys!

I saw one similar - with loader - rusting along with a row of other exotics and antiques at a collector's farm. As soon as I saw it I thought that would be ideal for getting across the slopes back in the ravine. Aren't these designed specifically for steep vineyards? I didn't know Pasquali is available and supported in the US. I want one!

There's a Youtube video of a Pasquali or something crawling among boulders the size of garbage cans. The articulation and low gearing let it move like a snake at low idle. Much better than a wheel tractor - almost a match for a crawler and no expensive-sounding crashing around.

On the other hand my neighbor the commercial apple orchardist said he has looked at several used larger articulated tractors and found each was out of service because the hinge/steering mechanisms seemed to be underdesigned, had broken, and needed thousands of $ of repairs on every one. I think the ones he saw were Antonio Carraro brand. I wonder if in Italy it is common knowledge to not apply full power when turning sharply, or something, to prevent this damage encountered in the US.

If you ever find another one - or decide to sell that one - please let us know!

/ Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #5  
Nice write up about Pasquali's...

I have a Pasquali 993 with a loader and a backhoe we adapted to fit on it. They are definitely unique little tractors, but are capable of doing a bunch of work. The one I bought was torn up pretty badly, with the front ring gear completely tore up and the back one on the way out. It was a long drawn out process getting the parts, but was definitely a fun experience with no manual.

I 100% agree with your complaints about the loader. You cannot easily fill the fuel tank or open the hood, I guess the decided to go with strength and function over usability for those areas.:smiley_aafz:

On the other hand my neighbor the commercial apple orchardist said he has looked at several used larger articulated tractors and found each was out of service because the hinge/steering mechanisms seemed to be underdesigned, had broken, and needed thousands of $ of repairs on every one. I think the ones he saw were Antonio Carraro brand. I wonder if in Italy it is common knowledge to not apply full power when turning sharply, or something, to prevent this damage encountered in the US.

The center pivot does seem to be a source of trouble. There are reports scattered around the internet about Antonio Carraro tractors breaking in half. Anything man-made can be destroyed, of course, by abuse, especially neglectful abuse. I understand (Though have no personal knowledge) that a typical failure mode for the smaller machines like this Pasquali (and the similar Ferraris etc) is the pivot bearing(s) do not get lubricated and dry up, then wear and corrosion take their toll, and the flex induced by not having a bearing eventually breaks things.

The parts situation is adequate for me, but I would not describe the machine as "supported." Pasquali does not have any dealership presence in North America, but there is an absolutely superb resource in Canada who has a good working relationship with Pasquali's parent company in Italy. His prices are good, service is impeccable, and he's even a nice guy and TBN member who posts here sometimes. (svcguy)

The situation is somewhat like the grey market situation for Yanmars, but without the legal concerns. Pasquali does not attack or sue people who sell parts for their tractors, a nice contrast to Yanmar and Kubota. Gears, engine rebuild parts, clutches, in fact most all hard parts seem to be available. On the other hand, some things are just odd and frustrating: The hydraulic system uses metric fittings and metric steel tubing from the (tiny) reservoir to the pump, which uses British Parallel Pipe fittings.

Neither of those types are readily available at the hardware store, but I found fittings to accommodate replacing my pump, which had slightly different fittings than the original unit, in a well-stocked semi-local hydraulic shop. As with the grey Japanese machines, there is much more need for owner involvement and some creativity required when getting the Italian tractors up into service compared to a "normal" tractor. They are not a "drop off at the dealer and pick it up tomorrow" type of thing. For the person who expects and requires everything to be "correct" and matching and according to manufacturer specifications, these are not a good match. There is not a part number that can be entered and looked up in a dealer's computer.

The oil filters, as mentioned, are problematic too. They are regularly available on eBay, but start around $35 apiece plus shipping. Some are over $40 each! The guy in Canada, Tom, has them for about $22. Baldwin filters lists a will-fit, but the dimensions they list on their website are wrong. I have not ordered one in to see. The Napa cross to the Baldwin is 1034, which if true, will not fit at all. Kohler is a parent company to the engine manufacturer and provides filters, but again, it's a nuisance. Apart from the hydraulics, the oil filters are really the only trouble in terms of maintenance. There is no radiator to go bad or need servicing, though an occasional cleaning of the engine fins is advisable. The air filter uses motor oil, so no problem, and the lubricants are all generically available.

I may be interested in selling this one. Its greatest strength, the width, is a detriment to my purposes for it. I need to work it awhile and see if I can find a justifiable purpose for it in my stable; if not I'll let you know. :)

/ Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #7  
As for the expensive oil filters - I was astonished to read in the YM240 owner's manual a recommendation to replace the oil filter every second, maybe third, 50 hour oil change if circumstances allow it. Maybe this assumed dust-free rice paddy use. I wonder if you could change the oil more often on the Pasqali and do that $40 Kohler premium filter every second oil change.

Is the Pasqali loud? The air cooled big Eicher tractors we saw in India made an awful racket, and at incredibly low rpm.

I've considered that service interval, just not changing the filter each oil change. With this machine I think it would be fine: Even after operating the tractor an hour or so the oil is still amber and clear. While that isn't a totally trustworthy indicator, the engine does seem to run cleanly and doesn't darken the oil instantly as do all my other diesels.

The Pasquali is loud, but I don't think it is worse than any of the Yanmars. It does have its own peculiar noise. It isn't the smooth rattle of the three cylinders, or the loud, banging clank of the big twins. It sounds like a cross between a muted Harley-Davidson and a lawn mower. The cooling fan gives an undertone of a loud whooshing, the rest sounds like a muffled two cylinder diesel. There is less engine noise than from a YM240, but the whole system is definitely loud. With all the different combination of things going on, it gives me the impression of loud as a busy restaurant is, somehow less obnoxious than a single type of noise at the same volume. I always wear hearing protection with all of my tractors, they just are too loud for me.

/ Comparisons in tractor design: Yanmar vs Pasquali #9  
Interesting write-up. I would think the articulation point between the seat and steering wheel would be a bit odd. I've never been on one so have no experience.