Hoye Power Steering

/ Hoye Power Steering #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I am seriously considering adding this very expensive option to my YM 2020. I am in need of shoulder surgery (putting it off as much as I can) and my tractor is not doing me any good when I am using the loader and using everything I have to turn the steering wheel.

I have not spoken to Hoye yet but I wanted to ask if anyone has installed this. The Hoye website says they designed it for and install it on Koyker loaders, but I have a V-tek V2 loader.
Anyone have any thoughts or expereince or other options? Does this put undue stress on the steering components that were not designed to have power steering?

Hoye power sterring kit: Yanmar Tractor Parts: POWER STEERING KIT - NEW!

/ Hoye Power Steering #2  
   / Hoye Power Steering #3  
I recently purchased a ym226d with power steering and its like night/day in the steering..I can load up the bucket with gravel and turn with one finger no lie, its that easy...I don't think mine is factory, maybe, no idea, I do know it would be worth your investment especially if you have a bad shoulder.

/ Hoye Power Steering #4  
The kit is only available for the bigger tractors (YM1700 up I think) and those are usually pretty beefy up front. I would be worried if I was putting one on a YM1300D or even a 1500D, for example, since those already have a fairly limited front end. The YM2020 should have no problems. The cylinder should be dialed in so that it does not really push any harder than you can normally steer... it just makes steering easier on the operator. It also saves wear & tear on the steering box.

I think the 226 had a dealer installed power steering option. I think it uses the same style cylinder as the kit that we sell. Keep in mind that the delivery time on the kits varies a lot depending on what else the manufacturer is doing at the time (we don't build these) . The last batch took us over a month to get :( The DIY cylinders are in stock though and ship the same day.

/ Hoye Power Steering #5  
Please tell, what is the working stroke on those cylinders?

/ Hoye Power Steering #7  
Great!

ready to order!

(if the stroke is useful ;-)

/ Hoye Power Steering #8  
Still working on it :)

Ever have one of those projects that seems really simple... ? I have not had the opportunity to spend a whole lot of time on it yet but we are, so far, unable to get the cylinder to extend.... at all. The cylinders are new and very tight and without hooking up to tractor hydraulics- we cant move it. Not even compressed air will budge them (yes, we have the valve in the correct position.. and even bypassed it to be sure). The next round will be to use a come-along and, if that fails, we will just have to hook one up to a tractor's hydraulics & run it in and out to measure it.

Any chance that someone here reading this has already hooked their cylinder up and can tell us how long the stroke is? :)

Last edited:
   / Hoye Power Steering #9  
Would never have guessed they would "hydro lock" ,

Sorry to make it a production, but then, if it doesn't have the motion at my end, that would be a problem too...

Your efforts are appreciated!

Cal