1300 or 135?

/ 1300 or 135? #1  

ChrisAus

Tractor
1300D
G'day folks,

I'm hoping that you may be able to assist me in determining the identity of my Yanmar. It was sold as a 135D and looks identical to other 135Ds I've seen online, particularly the 'kermit' green paint, but recently when giving it a thorough clean I noticed that the manufacturer's plate on the chassis (next to the diff lock controls on the right hand side) that it's clearly stamped 1300D and also has 880 on the plate. As it's a grey import the rest is in Japanese. The 880 reference would almost have to be the weight in pounds, but what I'm not sure of is whether the 1300D marking is accurate? I ask only as I'm unsure whether Yanmar used the same chassis for both models with markings to match but engines differing or do I in fact have a 1300D tractor?

I realise that it may have been painted considering it's an old tractor, but shouldn't a 1300 be red?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

/ 1300 or 135? #2  
Just a couple of comments until somebody comes along who knows these well.

* I thought the chassis model/serial was stamped into the transmission housing next to the operator's left ankle on all Yanmars of that era. Do you see anything there?

* There was early (green) and late (red) series on YM1500, YM2000 etc from the same era. So a green 1300D may just mean Japan-first series.

* If that's really a 1300D then you have 13 hp measured at the pto, compared to 13 engine hp (and less at the pto) for the export-model 135D.

* What does the engine ID tag say? On larger Yanmars, model/serial is stamped on the block near the starter plus a riveted tag - either down by the starter or on the valve cover - showing engine model and HP. Text will be mostly Japanese or mostly English depending on Japan or Export version. What do you see?

I think if you post these observations, someone who owns either model can give you a precise answer.

Last edited:
   / 1300 or 135?
Hi California,

I checked everything you've mentioned. At a guess I'd say that the block has been painted some years ago as the paint looks to be much newer than some of the parts. No doubt as a result of the respray I can't find any serial numbers on the block itself and there's no sign of a tag.

What I did find though was that the chassis was stamped in the exact location you mentioned. It's stamped YM1300D-00967. That really only leaves me with one possibility doesn't it?

Sorry to be so particular but I don't want to risk incorrectly identifying it and buying parts for the wrong tractor.

Edit: I hope it's a 1300 because that'll feel like I've just gained 3hp...for free!

/ 1300 or 135? #5  
I would guess 1300D as well, since that is what the transmission casting says.

I went through my service manuals and notes, trying to devise a dichotomous key.

The YM135 and YM155 (The US sister to the 1300) seem generally indistinguishable from readily available data. Their engines appear identical to me, and I can't find any data about whether they have different wheelbases or not.

The air filter differences (a cartridge on the YM135, a round, pancake style on the 1300) seem unreliable and varied by Yanmar at different times, on the same model.

However, my manual shows an overrunning clutch in the YM135, and no indication there was a different version without the overrunning clutch. The YM1300 will not have that device. So, you should be able to differentiate them by putting the PTO in gear and trying to turn shaft counterclockwise. If it stays fast, it is a YM1300D, just like the serial number said all along. If not, you have the 135.

/ 1300 or 135?
Hi 284,

I'll have to check the PTO to confirm whether it rotates both ways.

The only other possible identifier I can find is the part number on the starter motor. It's an Hitachi starter, part number S114-203 and there seems to be a wealth of aftermarket and reconditioned starters available but the mixing of Yanmar and Hitachi part numbers has left me utterly perplexed. I know I'm probably complicating matters by not abiding by the serial number on the chassis but grey imports seem to create grey areas!

/ 1300 or 135? #7  
I wouldn't go by the starter number. From my service manual: "Several different starters have been used. Be sure to check the data plate on unit before attempting to service starter or acquire parts."

I think the engines are identical except for a larger bore on the 1300.

Hoye shows the same starter for both machines, and who knows what has happened over the machine's 30 year life.

Does it have the very tall cleated rice paddy tires?

/ 1300 or 135?
Hello again,

They're standard ag tyres. Exactly the same as most compact Yanmars, Kubotas, JD etc seem to have (except those with turf tyres). Unfortunately I have to go to work shortly but if it helps I can post photos time permitting. If it can be confirmed that only one engine type was fitted to this chassis then I can lay the issue to rest knowing it's every bit a 1300D.

/ 1300 or 135? #9  
My suspicion is that the difference between the YM1300 and the YM135 will be the engine and the PTO. Does it have 3 speeds or 2? The YM1300 has 3 speeds, the 135 only 2.

The YM155 is the export version of the 1300, and it has the larger engine, but the difference I think is only the bore diameter to the YM135. I don't think there are any other external differences in the powerplant. The pictures of YM135s I have seen have a diverter block on the transmission housing, but that may be a regional or model improvement variant. My service manual doesn't list any distinctions between the YM135 or the YM155 apart from the parts inside the engine; namely the pistons, rings, sleeves, and headgaskets. Otherwise everything is the same that I can find.

/ 1300 or 135?
It's a 3 speed PTO. I really appreciate the info by the way. Without it I'd be completely lost!