YM1300D starter motor

/ YM1300D starter motor #1  

ChrisAus

Tractor
1300D
G'day folks

The starter motor on my 1300D recently burnt out due to a sticky key powering it for several minutes while it was running.

I'm now faced with having to either replace it or have it rebuilt. The old starter (S114-203, an Hitachi unit) doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Australia and a lot of the options online are 9 tooth, not 11 as they should be.

Are any alternate starter motors a match for my tractor? Can anyone recommend whether it'd be better to have it rebuilt or replaced? If rebuilding is an option can anyone point me in the direction of someone who may be able to sell me the parts?

Cheers,
Chris

/ YM1300D starter motor #2  
It's a Hitachi starter nearly identical to units on Japanese cars of that era.

Maybe the nose gear or mount bolt pattern is unique but all the internal parts should be rebuildable by any competent auto electric shop, since the internal parts are the same as automotive.

/ YM1300D starter motor
Thanks for yet another helpful response California.

I don't suppose you know whether they were used on any other tractor brands? Unfortunately, with no vehicles of that era being common to both the US and Australia my options seem limited.

I have left the starter motor with a local auto electrician but he's had considerable trouble finding parts needed to recondition it.

/ YM1300D starter motor #4  
I searched Ebay (US) for 'Hitachi S114-203'.

There is one Repair Kit that contains the bearings, brushes, and brush mount plate. , $39 + $6 US mail. This weighs very little so I doubt overseas mail adds much cost. Those components look pretty generic, probably could be salvaged off a local junk starter.

Also two 9-tooth starters claimed to be direct replacement for your 11 tooth unit. As I remember, we have read here that this doesn't actually work.

Wasn't Datsun (Nissan) sold in Australia in the 70's? There were some cases where Yanmar used the same part that was also specified for early 70's Datsun. The alternator and steering box are two examples I have personal experience with. Hitachi or NipponDenso electrical parts were widely used across many Japanese autos; I thought most auto electric shops could source repair components.

/ YM1300D starter motor
Thanks again. Trying to mix and match parts whilst living in a rural area is impossible so I've had to stick to online resources.

Having spent many, many hours furthering my relationship with Mr Google, I think I may have found a solution. The company which sold me the starter which was supposed to replace the Hitachi one ('jcsales' on eBay) also sell an 11 tooth starter drive which should fit the starter motor. A long and tiresome process but hopefully it'll work. I'll post links of the products used if/when I have a successful outcome so that others can reference it.

Note: If you live in Australia, don't bother searching for the aforementioned Hitachi s114-203 starter motor because I've searched the entire country and there is not one to be found!

/ YM1300D starter motor
Thanks Coldwater but all of those sub $100 starter motors are 9 tooth rather than 11. If you can provide a link I'll have a look but by now I was certain that I'd checked 'em all.

/ YM1300D starter motor
Hello again.

I thought I'd update this thread in case any other YM owners have starter problems. I can tell you with confidence that the only starter (of the three I tried) which works is the one from Hoye Tractors. It starts straight away.

The 9 tooth models on eBay and the like DO NOT work and achieve little more than cleaning the edge of the teeth on the flywheel. Not enough teeth, too small a pinion gear and not enough travel to engage the flywheel at all.

Cheers to everyone for their efforts with this.
Chris.