Yanmar in Indiana?

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #21  
Looks like I may be a day late and a dollar short for entering this discussion but would like to add my 2 cents worth. What if every dealer only sold to his customers? Sure wouldn't be nice if you happened to have purchased from an individual. I personally bought my Yanmar from Lowes in Greensburg, Indiana. They are now out of business. Should I be barred from buying parts if I need them. I recently need a fuel tank and Mr Shaeffer(sp) was very responsive to my order. Previously I would have bought from Lowes only because they were within 15 miles and it was handy. Now I don't have that option. If I decide to trade up or buy another, would I buy from a "restricted parts" dealer. Probably not. I fully understand time spent running down parts etc etc, but if I want to buy a Yanmar brand filter, key, Seat, Fuel cap, etc why should the dealer care If I bought directly from him or not. I may have bought elsewhere purely based on locale. Now if I "worked" a dealer against another when buying the tractor and then wanted the loser to provide my parts, well!
In the end, its hard enough to deal with parts issues on these great little tractors, and we need all the help we can get.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #22  
I still sell to non customers but I dont go to the trouble I use to
I have spent hours tracking down parts for customers that did not purchase a tractor from me, only to have them say oh well, at least I know that its avaliable and I can track one down.

Now lets turn it around, ok?

I am self employed & I have bills to pay just like everyone else. And I just spent close to 2 hrs. on the horn chasing a dead end part, when I could of finished working on a tranny or someone elses widget for 40.00 an hour.
Do you have 80.00 to throw around for people that you dont know , just because they can dial a phone and send you on a wild part chase. <font color="blue"> </font>
When they are my customer I will lend them my tractor if I have to until I get them fixed Other wise they can let their fingers do the walking on their time.

Just my 80.00 worth---keep the change! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Ern.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #23  
I do whole heartedly agree with you. No one should expect you to do all that extra for nothing and then in some cases, waster your time and not even make a purchase. Perfectly understandable on your part -- any businessmans part. I was just referring to not wanting to sell to non tractor purchasers. I would never expect you to go way out of your way to find parts, just be willing to sell what you have in stock on the shelves. And probably alot of times, newbies really dont understand what all is involved. I have had my ym2000 for over years and fortunately have only needed minor parts replacement and am very thankful for the availability that you guys provide. You do us all a great service.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #24  
Mike, have you actually tried to order parts from LMTC? Their website tells me "no gray market parts", as Len says, they have to sell American version parts to keep their franchise, "no phone inquiries" unless a tractor customer, "PARTS INQUIRIES BY EMAIL OR FAX". I suspect if you emailed an American version part # for your gray market tractor, they would sell it to you.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #25  
To the best of my knowledge, LMTC does not sell American model Yanmars. Don't know about parts for them. I have no idea if he buys parst direct from Yanmar or not. What I do know is he has been able to cross over aftermarket parts for a lot of his needs. That takes a lot of time and trouble.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #26  
OK, now i'm confused. Is it possible to buy a BRAND NEW Yanmar that is made for the American market? And if so, hows come you never hear of it? Are the prices to high?

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #27  
None are sold here under the Yanmar name. You can get a green one built by Yanmar /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #28  
This is a good post for prospective Yanmar buyers to read. I will bet that more than half of new Yanmar buyers purchase from someone who doesnt provide parts or service. And since it has already been made clear how unprofitable parts hunting/selling can be, I think all prospective buyers should expect to find/hunt/beg for parts THEMSELVES....it is the price you pay for buying a grey market tractor. I dont disagree with LMTC's decision at all, because I have spent hours and hours looking for a hinomoto part for myself, and would not want to do it regularly.

And for those who think they are giving up a possible income stream, forget it. People who buy Yanmars are cheap to begin with (let's face it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so they're not going to like hearing that a part will run them $400 plus shipping. So I bet you get a lot of 'let me call you back' once you source a part. I gotta friend who runs the parts desk at a big ag retail outfit, and people are always coming to him for obscure parts. After 10 years on the job, he asks people the most they are willing to spend before he makes a move... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #29  
I resent the remark about cheap. Did you ever stop to think, that some of us are retired on a low income?? If I had to pay the price of a new tractor, I would just have to do without. So its not always being cheap, maybe that fits you, but not me. If you want to buy me a new tractor, I'd be glad to have it, much safer, and more trouble free to, I would think. But I don't think you will do that, so get off the cheap stuff, you don't know what I have to do with. If I could have bought new, I probably would have, don't have that kind of money, and at my age, don't see how I ever will have.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #30  
Dick,
I understand your comments totally. I bought a Yanmar because I had Xdollars to buy a tractor. But if you hear from the dealers, "some" Yanmar owners, try to "low-ball" every parts dealer they can. Tracking down parts and prices costs time and money. I knew when I bought it that parts will cost what they cost.
Who knows whats in their mind?? .........old tractor, cheap parts??
I don't think it was a personal attack and please don't look at it that way.
I have since bought a new tractor because my situation accomodated it, but I miss my YM1700 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif