yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #1  

Rbousack

Tractor
yanmar 1700
i have a 1700 i used to bush hog the other day and i noticed alot of black smoke in high grass. I used over 2 qts of oil in about 5 hours of cutting is that normal. i have only had this tractor a few months.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #2  
Welcome aboard. :welcome: Maytown in what state? 2 quarts in 5 hours is not normal. Are you getting a lot of blowby out the crankcase vent hose? Any oil usage in the first month or so? Check this out for an example. Yanmar 155D Crankcase Vent - YouTube

Last edited:
   / yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil
Near Birmingham Alabama ...Yes has it has used some oil.
in a days use maybe a quart running a disc for a garden all day. I have a couple of acres that i bush hogged with a 4' bush hog and it would put a lot of strain on motor in about 3' of thick grass. Blowing alot of black smoke out of the exhaust and yes blowing out crankcase vent also.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #4  
Sounds like the engine has lots of wear. One in good shape would use less than a quart in a 100 hours. No doubt a heavy load would increase usage.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #5  
No it's not normal for any tractor to use this much oil, unless of course its old and worn out, does the ym1700 have a difficult time starting? How many hours showing on the meter? is this a reconditioned unit?
X2 on what Winston1 stated, the most I have ever had to add is about 1/2 quart toward the end of the season, in fact about now it would likely need some oil,

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #6  
My Yanmar 4220 didn't use any oil, maybe half a quart during yearly oil changes. Yes heavy loading (black smoke coming out= unburned diesel) will cause most engines to use a bit more oil than usual. Old iron (all brands in the 75+ HP range) from the 60-70s would routinely use a couple of quarts per 12 hour day when heavily loaded, but the Yanmar's don't seem to use any oil when in proper mechanical condition. I would say that you may have some leaking valve guides or possibly bad cylinder rings that would require an overhaul at very least a top end overhaul of the valve train.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #7  
Hey neighbor,,,I'm with the others. Time for a rebuild. I never add oil, except at oil change time

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #8  
I get black smoke when heavy loaded. But in 20-25 hours can't tell that I have used any oil on the stick.

This year I have noticed blow by at my vent. You can feel it at idle and at speed and its more noticeable with the sun hitting it just right but I start easy and still have the same power I had before. And as of now I don't notice oil use.

I think the rings they used in the recon were not quality. I feel that in a few maybe 5-10 years I will pull the head and rearing and put new bearings in it. But for now its fine.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #9  
i change my oil every summers start and never check it inbetween, come change time it is still on the full mark. not a single drop used in 12 months. i suspect you have a problem, but if it is burning lots it should be blue more than black but i also suspect it is using excessive diesel too :( my YM14 is too like yours.

/ yanmar 1700 burning alot of oil #10  
You aren't using synthetic oil in it are you? Plain old 15-40 RotellaT is what most guys run fwtw. My tractor uses a little in 50 hours but not enough I need to add and that's my oil change hrs point anyway. Might start by changing it and start fresh if you dont know whats in it jmho.