Another seal question

/ Another seal question #1  

pruntyc

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110 HST
I'm not ready to do my real engine seal yet, waiting till the grass quits growing for the year. But the question is, on my YM 1700, which is the same for a 2000, I'm told. After I split it and take the clutch and flywheel off, and take the bearing houseing off. Now I read it the shop manual that the bearing is pressed in. So I just pry the seal out of the houseing from the rear??? And tap it back in from the rear? I would guess if the bearing is pressed in, that I couldn't take it out anyway, and put it back without a press, right? I guess I may seem pretty dumb, about it, but its all new to me, first tractor I ever worked on. And want to do it right, and not have anymore problem with it. And everything else seems real good, so I think it is all there will be, at least for years to come. I want to say thanks for the help, even before you give it, in case I forget to afterward.

/ Another seal question #2  
The seal isn't really hard to get out and back. The bearing is more of a sleeve and will stay on the crank. Be careful with the gasket/shim on the assembly that holds the seal. It is what controls the end play on your crank.

/ Another seal question #3  
You may actually be able to remove the seal and put in the new one without removing the bearing housing. You may be able to pry it off and tap the new one on without removing the housing. If you can, then that's definately the way to go.

On my YM1110D, the bearing is a sleeve, but it is a tight fit in the housing and stayed in the housing when I removed it from the block. I drove out the old one, and drove in the new one using a circular piece of steel with a lip on it.

As Reed says, the crankshaft end-play is adjusted with paper shims (that look like gaskets) that go between the bearing housing and the engine block. If you remove the housing, you may need to replace those shims. Mine tore all up when I pulled the housing off. Also, on my YM1110D, there was an o-ring that seals the housing to the block. If you remove the housing, you should replace that o-ring also.

/ Another seal question
Greg, I have the I&T shop manual for it or the american one, like it. And it doesnt' show any o ring for mine. So I don't think it has one. I guess I may find out more what I need when I do it. I will not order the shims till I find out if I need them. Same with the o ring, if and when I need one.