YM 226 Brakes ???

/ YM 226 Brakes ??? #1  

NCGMAN

Bronze Member
Tractor
YANMAR
I pulled the brakes out, they look like they are crystalized. Really smooth and shinney. The drums look like they haven't been hit by the brake pads. slightly pitted.. I plan on seeing if I can get them turned. The shoes have about 1/8 inch of material on them. Would it be wise to order a new set anyway ???? I guess I need to adjust them so they both hit the drums. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem to....

/ YM 226 Brakes ??? #2  
I pulled the brakes out, they look like they are crystalized. Really smooth and shinney. The drums look like they haven't been hit by the brake pads. slightly pitted.. I plan on seeing if I can get them turned. The shoes have about 1/8 inch of material on them. Would it be wise to order a new set anyway ???? I guess I need to adjust them so they both hit the drums. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem to....

I would think that 1/8 inch is way too thin. Just yesterday I picked up a set of handbrake pads for one of my cars and they had 1/4-5/16 inch of material on them!

/ YM 226 Brakes ??? #3  
I had a brake shop add more material to my old shoes a couple yrs ago. It was cheaper than new (can't remember the exact cost) There isn't very much material on a new set Maybe 3/16 ?

/ YM 226 Brakes ??? #4  
1/8" of lining on the brake shoes should be ok. If the shoes aren't touching the drums, I wouldn't replace anything before analyzing what caused this. Is all the linkage adjustment used up?

What led you to get into the brakes - were they not stopping the tractor, or was the braking uneven?

Some Yanmars have an adjustable anchor that the shoes bear against, at the end of the shoes opposite the actuator cam. See if you can turn that anchor a quarter turn to make the shoes ride higher.

And if the leading shoe on each side has more lining remaining than the trailing shoe on that side, swapping the leading/trailing shoe on each side can give you a few hundred hours more use before replacing the shoes.

I would adjust the anchors and the linkage to assure a firm shoe/drum contact, and perhaps rough up the shoes if they seem 'crystallized'. I can't imagine an application of these tractors that would overheat and glaze the brakes, however. Maybe taking heavy harvest bins downhill?

/ YM 226 Brakes ??? #5  
   / YM 226 Brakes ???
1/8" of lining on the brake shoes should be ok. If the shoes aren't touching the drums, I wouldn't replace anything before analyzing what caused this. Is all the linkage adjustment used up?

What led you to get into the brakes - were they not stopping the tractor, or was the braking uneven?

Some Yanmars have an adjustable anchor that the shoes bear against, at the end of the shoes opposite the actuator cam. See if you can turn that anchor a quarter turn to make the shoes ride higher.

And if the leading shoe on each side has more lining remaining than the trailing shoe on that side, swapping the leading/trailing shoe on each side can give you a few hundred hours more use before replacing the shoes.

I would adjust the anchors and the linkage to assure a firm shoe/drum contact, and perhaps rough up the shoes if they seem 'crystallized'. I can't imagine an application of these tractors that would overheat and glaze the brakes, however. Maybe taking heavy harvest bins downhill?

thanks for the input: will do more analyzing, then to the front wheel bearings......