Tractor
    YANMAR

Default YM 226 Brakes ???

I pulled the brakes out, they look like they are crystalized. Really smooth and shinney. The drums look like they haven't been hit by the brake pads. slightly pitted.. I plan on seeing if I can get them turned. The shoes have about 1/8 inch of material on them. Would it be wise to order a new set anyway ???? I guess I need to adjust them so they both hit the drums. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem to....

Tractor
    Yanmar F18D and Mitsubishi D1550FD

Default Re: YM 226 Brakes ???

Quote Originally Posted by NCGMAN View Post
    I pulled the brakes out, they look like they are crystalized. Really smooth and shinney. The drums look like they haven't been hit by the brake pads. slightly pitted.. I plan on seeing if I can get them turned. The shoes have about 1/8 inch of material on them. Would it be wise to order a new set anyway ???? I guess I need to adjust them so they both hit the drums. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem to....
    I would think that 1/8 inch is way too thin. Just yesterday I picked up a set of handbrake pads for one of my cars and they had 1/4-5/16 inch of material on them!
    Mitsubishi D1550FD - Yanmar F18D

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I had a brake shop add more material to my old shoes a couple yrs ago. It was cheaper than new (can't remember the exact cost) There isn't very much material on a new set Maybe 3/16 ?
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

1/8" of lining on the brake shoes should be ok. If the shoes aren't touching the drums, I wouldn't replace anything before analyzing what caused this. Is all the linkage adjustment used up?

What led you to get into the brakes - were they not stopping the tractor, or was the braking uneven?

Some Yanmars have an adjustable anchor that the shoes bear against, at the end of the shoes opposite the actuator cam. See if you can turn that anchor a quarter turn to make the shoes ride higher.

And if the leading shoe on each side has more lining remaining than the trailing shoe on that side, swapping the leading/trailing shoe on each side can give you a few hundred hours more use before replacing the shoes.

I would adjust the anchors and the linkage to assure a firm shoe/drum contact, and perhaps rough up the shoes if they seem 'crystallized'. I can't imagine an application of these tractors that would overheat and glaze the brakes, however. Maybe taking heavy harvest bins downhill?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

This picture may be decieving but the linings look pretty thick. I would go with California's suggestions. In my mind it would take a long time to wear off 1'8" of lining. That is if they will adjust out ok. You can click on "instructions? and get Hoye's instructions. Yanmar Tractor Parts: BRAKE SHOE

They don't look quite as thick here. Yanmar Tractor Brakes 220 226 250 1601 1610 198230 36510 194420 36510 | eBay

Tractor
    YANMAR

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    1/8" of lining on the brake shoes should be ok. If the shoes aren't touching the drums, I wouldn't replace anything before analyzing what caused this. Is all the linkage adjustment used up?

What led you to get into the brakes - were they not stopping the tractor, or was the braking uneven?

Some Yanmars have an adjustable anchor that the shoes bear against, at the end of the shoes opposite the actuator cam. See if you can turn that anchor a quarter turn to make the shoes ride higher.

And if the leading shoe on each side has more lining remaining than the trailing shoe on that side, swapping the leading/trailing shoe on each side can give you a few hundred hours more use before replacing the shoes.

I would adjust the anchors and the linkage to assure a firm shoe/drum contact, and perhaps rough up the shoes if they seem 'crystallized'. I can't imagine an application of these tractors that would overheat and glaze the brakes, however. Maybe taking heavy harvest bins downhill?
    thanks for the input: will do more analyzing, then to the front wheel bearings......