bus hog brand loader on a ym240

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #1  

homephysician

Tractor
ym240
Hi everybody, I have located a front loader by bush hog. It is a 2240qt. Is this too large for the ym240 or would it be a good fit. It has the valves and all it needs is a place to tie into the hydraulic system. I have seen where one can cut into the hydraulic lines, I just wanted to know if this is feasible. Thanks always.

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #2  
No need to cut anything! YM240 and (most?) US Yanmars already have the divider block to plumb a loader in series. It's just ahead of where the high pressure line enters the 3-point lift cylinder. The YM240 manual shows how to configure it.

I don't know about this specific loader but my YM240 has a heavy loader by Great Bend (later acquired by BH) that was likely dealer-installed when new. It also has the optional HD, adjustable-width front axle and 5-15 front tires so it must have been ordered in 'loader-ready' configuration. This loader shows severe abuse from ramming things etc but there is no consequential damage on the YM240. In summary - if the dimensions for mounting are suitable and it is the best price you have found - I would do it. Be sure to fabricate a subchassis to carry stresses back to the rear axle. Tractors lacking this tend to split in half. Here are some subframe pictures I posted previously.

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240
Thanks California, the loaded is on a Belarus right now. I can get it and the controls for 200 dollars. Needs the bucket cylinders but I think it is a good deal.

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #5  
I believe cal's and maybe a few others is all I've seen with the braces that go all the way to the rear of the tractor. I don't think I've seen any Koyker loaders that come with these braces. Seems like a good idea to have them

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #6  
I've just fitted a FEL to the F18D - not the same model but it may give you some ideas. Mine was made for the tractor and came with hydraulic fittings attached. These were i) a replacement block to go under the HP pump on the side of the engine - it replaces the metal line that goes back to the 3PL AND ii) a banjo to fit onto the 3PL housing where the other end of the metal HP line attached
ie the fittings replaced the existing hydraulic connections. This puts the FEL 'in-series' on the hydraulic line - you need to remove, on my F18D anyway, the original metal hydraulic line from the HP pump at front to the 3PL housing at the rear.

I did have a thread with pics only a month or so ago.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/286941-yanmar-f18d-hydraulic-query.html

Last edited:
   / bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #7  
... Needs the bucket cylinders but I think it is a good deal.
Missing or need repair? Reconditioning loader cylinders is simple. I recently dug a fork tip into the ground and blew out a curl cylinder. It would leak down over a few minutes. But repairing it was simple - I replaced the o-ring on its piston and the plastic spacer shims that center the o-ring in its groove. (same function as engine piston rings). The spacer had distorted and folded over onto the rubber o-ring, preventing it from sealing. Like-new performance restored for $5 ! If your piston rods are pitted you might have to live with minor dribble but I wouldn't replace cylinders that are intact no matter how bad they look. BushHog's price for new OEM cylinders is likely substantial and fitting something else is sure to be an adventure.

... replacement block to go under the HP pump ... AND ii) a banjo to fit onto the 3PL housing where the other end of the metal HP line attached
I don't think he will need to add those. The 'export' Yanmars (including his) have a divider block to route fluid out to the loader then back into the 3-point, in series between the pump and the 3-point. (Outlet A in this diagram). But you are right regarding gray-market Yanmars originally built for the Japan internal market, optional parts are needed to get the loader in series.

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240
Missing or need repair? Reconditioning loader cylinders is simple. I recently dug a fork tip into the ground and blew out a curl cylinder. It would leak down over a few minutes. But repairing it was simple - I replaced the o-ring on its piston and the plastic spacer shims that center the o-ring in its groove. (same function as engine piston rings). The spacer had distorted and folded over onto the rubber o-ring, preventing it from sealing. Like-new performance restored for $5 ! If your piston rods are pitted you might have to live with minor dribble but I wouldn't replace cylinders that are intact no matter how bad they look. BushHog's price for new OEM cylinders is likely substantial and fitting something else is sure to be an adventure.

I don't think he will need to add those. The 'export' Yanmars (including his) have a divider block to route fluid out to the loader then back into the 3-point, in series between the pump and the 3-point. (Outlet A in this diagram). But you are right regarding gray-market Yanmars originally built for the Japan internal market, optional parts are needed to get the loader in series.

Hey guys the loader is missing the curl cylinders. I'm scouting around hoping to get them on the cheap. Thanks again.

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #9  
I believe cal's and maybe a few others is all I've seen with the braces that go all the way to the rear of the tractor. I don't think I've seen any Koyker loaders that come with these braces. Seems like a good idea to have them

Can't speak for the tractors smaller than my Rhino 554, but this is a (k2 Koyker model #2) rhino-injector rebuild 001.JPG and it does have the rear axle to loader center mount braces. Would think Koyker knows the smaller tractors need the reinforcement just as much as the larger machines...

/ bus hog brand loader on a ym240 #10  
Can't speak for the tractors smaller than my Rhino 554, but this is a (k2 Koyker model #2) View attachment 337847 and it does have the rear axle to loader center mount braces. Would think Koyker knows the smaller tractors need the reinforcement just as much as the larger machines...

I didn't know if Koyker made them for yanmars or not. I haven't seen the braces on any yanamrs I've seen. For what ever reason my 3110 doesn't have them . I don't remember cardoc ever mention any braces on his Koyker loader It would be interesting to know if Koyker makes the braces for only some Yanmars,but not all