YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #1  

Tractorsaw1

Tractor
Ford
Hey all I am scoping out a 1700d. I had a jd 430 with the yanmar 3 in it & liked the engine, however i don't know anything about this tractor other than it looks like a tractor. What should I look out for on this machine. This is a local tractor with like new tires, homemade rops/canopy on it with 8xx hours on it. Doesn't look tore up & seems nice overall. I am going to look at it tomorrow. $2500 I think is the bottom dollar on it. I plan on using it for small chores & food plot matence like run a small tiller & 48" mower. general towing, would like to retro fit a snow blower on the front, but that might be a pipe dream. I am also looking at a bolens g174 in similar price range, but it has turf tires similar hours & a 48" belly mower. Would rather have the 3 cylinder bolens engine, but seems like this 1700 mule is built heaviery, tell me what you would do. I can get the bolens cheaper, but with ag tires the price will be the same. Honestly the 1700d looks over all in nicer shape. Thanks

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule
Has anyone made a power steering retro for these besides the $800 unit you can buy from hoyke? This one doesn't have a loader but I would like for my kids to be able to drive this around. Just wondering how hard the bar tires on the front are to steer in tight quarters. Thanks

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #3  
YM1700D for $2500? Jump on it! I wish I could find a similar price for 4x4 out here.

These are near indestructible . You need to check it over for abuse like any 30 year old equipment but there aren't any trouble spots. Make sure all the gears work, 4x4, etc. Slop in steering box. (Parts are available). Compression is ok, judged by easy starting, exhaust color, and blowby. Lights work and battery charges (cheap to fix). These need the radiator core in good condition - replace if needed, $300, - because with no water pump they need the cooling system up to spec. Look into the radiator right after a cold start for turbulence that would indicate a leaking head gasket. Make sure the fuel filter is original, intact, and not full of crud, which would be obvious signs of neglect.

I have the slightly larger version (YM240) with a heavy loader and I do ok without power steering. When standing still, pull some tension on the steering wheel. As you start to move, the steering goes light. Only a big load in the bucket will cause stiff steering. I don't think there is any easier power steering upgrade than the Hoye kit - and I don't think it is needed. Note that any implement on the back will lighten the steering too.

Manual steering and manual transmission, and the primitive racket of the 2-cylinders, are tradeoffs for the low price. You can pay more for nicer, but I don't think there is anything better for reliability and usefulness anywhere near that price.

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #4  
I had a 2wd 1700 for short time.. only reason I sold it was I bought a new ATV and had another larger yanmar.

Like California said..the cooling system must be working 100% or it will overheat pretty fast. You can also fit a water pump on it from a ym2000 and an adapter I believe.Hoye has them.

These yanmar aren't hard to steer as long as your moving..I had a 2wd ym2210 with loader and it turned fine. Power steering of course is much easier but wouldn't stop me from owning one without.

I loved the 1700 ..nice machine and easy to haul.

Well that's pretty much what I have ready & thanks for the replies. I talked to him tonight about the machine some. I asked him about how it started when it was cold & he said he only used it mowing in the summer, but it had glow plugs? I thought this had a decompression lever to start, maybe I read about a different model. He said it was nice, no leaks, headlights & everything worked with no issues. We will see what happens tomorrow on it.

Attachments

• 1700d.jpg
    1700d.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
   / YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #6  
It has a thermostart system. No glow plugs. It should have a decomp. system,but not to start it. You would use the decomp leaver to get the oil flowing b-4 starting. If my tractor has sit for some time. I'll pull the decomp lever and turn the engine over until the oil light goes out.Then, push the decomp lever in and start the engine. I have never had to use my thermo start to start my engine,(even in the winter) and you shouldn't have to use it to start that tractor in the summer

Thanks kenmac. I am learning along the way here. I appreciate it. He said he had a manual for it, that's good cause I got a lot of reading to do on it. He wasn't sure if it had a block heater or not. I am familiar with the thermostart as that is what my ford 6610 has on it. Thanks!

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #8  
If it's got good compression. It should tart right up . No either & not using thermostart. As for the rest, You'll just have to run her through the paces. See if he'll hook up a brush cutter and run it to make sure all's well with the pto gears/bearings and the lift will lift and hold weight up without dropping

/ YN 1700D junker or good ol" mule #9  
I just seen the pic..that is a very clean 1700D..of course looks only go so far. I sold a 2wd for $2300 ..so that is a deal on a 4wd..you wait to long it will be gone.

If it starts easy..doesn't smoke like a chimney and the oil isn't milky you should be OK..check all gear ranges and ask him if it has ever overheated.. he may or may not tell you the truth..one thing is since it doesn't have a water pump it shouldn't have 50/50 antifreeze..more like 80/20..water/coolant. If to much coolant it will not flow well in the thermosyphon system..Google that to understand how that works.

Well it checked out great. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. All lights & turn signals worked. Someone had added a small gauge cluster below the instrument panel, I liked that also. oil pressure, amps, & coolant temp. A small home made weight on the front that was mounted up decent. I ran it around in all the gears, 4x4, hi lo range. You guys were right it steered really easy. Some small play in the tie rod joint, not major really the only wear I could find on it. He said it never had a problem with it over heating. I loved it, offered him $2400 & put it on the trailer. Its a little dusty from sitting in the shed, but hey I can clean that up. The home made canopy rattles a little at a certain rpm, but they did make the top fairly easy to take off, a couple bolts & pins & off it comes. He had a 5' finish mower & a 4' ford brush hog, which were not at the site of the tractor. Said he thought $300 a piece for them, I told him I was really interested in the hog, but needed to sale a few things first but would call him when some more funds were available. I am surprised you don't see more of these things around, a hole lot of tractor for the money!