Is this a scam? YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE!

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #1  

swmillbrook

Tractor
Lots of Yanmars
Recently, I called 2 places to get a quote on parts for a Yanmar 2402. One place had none. The second company gave me a quote, 4 days later. Realizing these parts are hard to get, that was not a problem. The quote was over a $1000.00. I ordered the parts knowing they would be taken off a "junk tractor". During the waiting process, I discovered there was more wrong with this tractor and repairing it was not worth it. After waiting 4 days and not receiving the parts, I called this company and explained the situation and told them to cancel my order. Keep in mind that I had not received the parts. I had already paid a down payment on the parts. They charged me a 10% restocking fee for parts not received. They said it cost a lot in labor to take the parts off another tractor and therefore there would be a restocking fee. I understand the labor and I understand them getting angry, But, I also understand that eventually their mechanic would have to take the parts off anyway for someone else. I was charged the fee and never received the parts. Is this a common practice amongst companies? I wouldn't practice this. In the past, I have referred people to this company and one even bought a tractor from them. Although, I realize lately I haven't spent a lot of money with this company (but have in the past), I just don't feel good about how I was treated. Sometimes companies get too big and lose insight. All I want to know...Is this common amongst companies? Or is this common amongst greedy companies?:confused:

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE!
Recently, I called 2 places to get a quote on parts for a Yanmar 2402. One place had none. The second company gave me a quote, 4 days later. Realizing these parts are hard to get, that was not a problem. The quote was over a $1000.00. I ordered the parts knowing they would be taken off a "junk tractor". During the waiting process, I discovered there was more wrong with this tractor and repairing it was not worth it. After waiting 4 days and not receiving the parts, I called this company and explained the situation and told them to cancel my order. Keep in mind that I had not received the parts. I had already paid a down payment on the parts. They charged me a 10% restocking fee for parts not received. They said it cost a lot in labor to take the parts off another tractor and therefore there would be a restocking fee. I understand the labor and I understand them getting angry, But, I also understand that eventually their mechanic would have to take the parts off anyway for someone else. I was charged the fee and never received the parts. Is this a common practice amongst companies? I wouldn't practice this. In the past, I have referred people to this company and one even bought a tractor from them. Although, I realize lately I haven't spent a lot of money with this company (but have in the past), I just don't feel good about how I was treated. Sometimes companies get too big and lose insight. All I want to know...Is this common amongst companies? Or is this common amongst greedy companies?:confused:

Greed's worst point is its ingratitude

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #3  
10%? I think its reasonable. Nothing will frustrate a business more than customers who cancel after the business has made the effort to prepare an order. Especially taking parts off a parts tractor. It may be months or years before anyone else needs that specific part. While it was on the tractor there is no confusion what it fits and the general condition of related parts. After it is removed and set in a corner for a year or two, nobody remembers the circumstances and it may well go into the next load of scrap iron. At best, the part will be wrapped, labelled, and stored alongside the machine it came off of. This all adds complexity and cost to the seller. I think some form of non refundable deposit is reasonable for taking parts off a parts tractor.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #4  
I would second California's view, and would add that many places that sell online charge 10% for restocking items that are still new in the package. Had the parts dealer been quicker about disassembling and shipping the parts, you'd be stuck with the components needing to be shipped back, and still being faced with the restocking charge.

If the parts are fairly major or involved to access, the dealer is forced to make accommodation to protect the interior of the tractor, or to store the parts labeled and sealed somehow, which is a dreadful nuisance. I understand the frustration about being charged for something you didn't use, but in my view the dealer deserves to be compensated for their trouble in removing their part and then either reassembling or protecting the tractor and storing the part to protect their investment.

Not to sound snarky, but if you really don't like the situation, I imagine the dealer will apply the 10% back to your purchase if you re-order the parts and store them yourself. Then you can put the parts up for sale on your own. I wouldn't do that myself, because I'd likely never sell the pieces anyway, would not use them, and would still be out the money. To me, that just clarifies that the restocking fee is reasonable.

I hope you're able to get something happily resolved; it sounds like the tractor is a mess. Good luck, let us know what you are able to figure out.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE!
OKAY...IT'S TWO AGAINST ONE NOW, BUT I AS A BUSINESS OWNER, I WOULD NOT DO THIS TO A CUSTOMER, ALTHOUGH IT WOULD COST ME IN LABOR FOR TAKING THE PARTS OFF OF A JUNK TRACTOR. YES, I WOULD BE ANGRY ABOUT IT, BUT IF THE CUSTOMER HAS NOT RECIEVED THE PRODUCT AND I STILL HAD POSSESSION OF IT, I JUST DON'T THINK I WOULD CHARGE THEM FOR SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T GET. ALTHOUGH I WOULD WANT TO. BUT, IT IS NICE TO GET INPUT FROM OTHER PEOPLE DOING BUSINESS. WE ARE JUST COUNTRY FOLKS HERE...I GUESS WE ARE JUST OUT OF TOUCH.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #6  
Guess now that it's 3 to one. I'm not trying to be a ahole or anything, but the guy is in business and with these days and times, it's tough to make a profit within your margins, once you start doing something for nothing, then you have to sell that much more just to get back to the break even point. $100+ for restocking would seem excessive to the buyer, but then they wouldn't have any idea how much the dealer had already invested in getting the order ready, plus you have to take the things that California and 284 International brought up. I've had it happen to me a couple of times and I didn't like it, but I could understand it.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #7  
4-1. Just 'cause you don't like the answers you sought out doesn't mean you should use all caps to vent your frustration.
I've been in the auto business as a professional shop owner, and if you as a customer want something done it costs money to do it. I'm not a charitible organization. You want me to put a mechanic on a job for you, any job, I have to pay him. That cost gets passed to you. You CHOOSE to cancel on me what you agreed to pay for, you get charged for my mechanics time. The restock fee likely cost you way less than than it did to my shop. I need to be in business for my regularly PAYING customers, and if I'm doing work you decide later you don't want done because of whatever reason, you're still on the hook to me. See how it actually works?!
'Customers' like you just don't seem to get it- you are admittedly behind the times, BUT hopefully these credible opinions will help you understand what you responsibility is when you hire someone to do work for you. There are no free lunches. If you don't like the terms - don't hire the work out; figure out beforehand the tractor is junk.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #8  
5-1
Its only 10%. He could have demanded 50% up front so consider yourself lucky. You can't have employees running around on a whim removing parts for somebody who backs out at the last minute. Lesson learned, be sure before ordering.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #9  
6-1.......I agree with the other comments......seems reasonable to pay for their time.

/ YANMAR PARTS RESTOCKING FEE! #10  
I dont like it but i see the point. I on the other hand ordered a new part from a big online yanmar dealer. I did not need it, i shipped it back on mydime and still got hit with a restocking fee!!! I totally understand having to pay to open and reshelf as well as run the paperwork to refund me, but still dont like it.