Purchasing a YM2500

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #1  

kcabbie

Tractor
b6100
A friend of mine plans on selling me his 2500 for a good price. $3500 and it includes a 5ft mower, ditcher, FEL A regular bucket and a quick connect bucket(needs the decking replaced).

I am in bad need of a tractor. I found a JD 750 for $6k with a finishing mower, tiller, and box. The machine has not been started in years as he ran it out of diesel and did not know how to bleed the lines. There for the tires are dry-rotted.

I bring this up to kind of make me feel better about the price.. It bigger and in much better condition for a lot less. Plus has a FEL.

Is it normal for the 2500 to roll quite a bit of black smoke when under a load? It runs good and smooth. No blue or white smoke. Just diesel smoke.. Front end loader has two separate levers, and a bunch of hoses running here and there. I will take some pics when I get a chance to find out if its home made or if it is not.

I see a lot about grey tractors. The hour gauge reads 70hrs. So I can only assume it has been refurbished. The tractor itself is green, if that tells you anything.

Can anyone specify what levers do what? How many gears, how many ranges, live hydraulics and pto?

Very excited about purchasing my first tractor. My only wish is that it was 4wd but I can live with 2wd.

Thanks for any help

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #2  
Don't worry about the black smoke under load. Let the owner run you through all the levers and valves. The JD is still a Yanmar tractor, but with a lot of JD only parts. I would go with the Yanmar, and use the price dif, to buy the other implements that you need.

/ Purchasing a YM2500
Thanks for the reply!

He strictly used the tractor for mowing. I have been reading and gather it has 8 fwd and 2 rev gears. 3 pto gears? I am away from the tractor at the moment.. and he is too. We both work out of town. It may be a couple months before we are able to make the transaction.

Does this tractor have a controllable 3ph raise/lower feature? The little b6100 that I use often has a up/down position. No speed control, and no in between.

I am sure I am over-analyzing the little things, and I apologize. I have to admit I am very eager.

Something else I hope is possible is replacing the r1 tires with r4 tires. I will be purchasing a finishing mower for the yard and don't want the super aggressive tires.

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #4  
I also have a YM 2500. I have owned it for 7 years but has been in the family 21 years. Good little tractor just very light weight.

The YM 2500 actually has a 4 speed pto. The second speed on the pto gives you 540 rpms at 2000 engine rpms. I use this to finish mow with a Woods RD 7200 rear finish mower and it works excellent. For everything else I use the first speed on the pto. My tractor has a little over 2000 hours and it runs like new. I use it to cut and rake hay, brush hog, drill post holes, and mow my lawn. It is very fuel efficient compare to my larger tractor and I use it whenever possible. It holds 9 gallons of diesel and will run all day on that working it pretty hard.

Yes the 3ph is controllable with the lever to the right of the seat and speed can be adjusted with the knob at the front of the seat

/ Purchasing a YM2500
Thanks for the reply!! I used to get this excited about three wheelers when I was younger.. kind of makes me feel old. I hope to keep it in the family for a long time. I hate letting go of vehicles/machines I acquire.

What do you think about the R4 tires? Should help the steering a lot when loaded, instead of the skinny tires. I also will be fabricating a bumper. I think I am going to paint it red and black. Is there a special reason why it is green?

Thanks again.

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #6  
Kc, we need some pics as soon as possible !!! Best wishes, I am sure it will serve u well

From CT

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #7  
green is the color of the frame? Thats why its that forest green.

I dont think the R4 tires will affect the steering at all? Go for it, it will be an expensive swap but with the difference in price you can buy the tires. By the way that JD is about double what it should be, esp with dryrotted tires and not knowing if it will run!!!

Black smoke UNDER a load is normal. Like if its got a 6ft finish mower on and your going through thick grass or if you have a 5ft bushhog on and cutting very tall thick knee high grass, even a 4ft in that tall grass will LOAD it up, its still only 25hp at the PTO afterall. If your rolling black smoke while driving around once engine is up to RPM's or if its rolling black smoke when your just cutting normal height grass with the finishmower, say 1-2week old yard grass there is a problem and its overfueling or the timing is not right.

Once up to speen and cutting normal grass you should not be billowing black, as you rev up yes and when the thing is under a load that is normal.

Sounds like the tractor is a deal. I would buy it. Get a test ride and used a mower behind it so that you can see it working. I think tractor alone is worth taht price and the mower is easily $300-500 depending upon condidtion. Buy it before you loose it. I have had my 2000 for 3 years or so, and love it. Oh that hour meter may be correct and not a refurb? I think that model still only has a 3 digit hour meter, so once you get to 999hours you go back to 0 hours. DONT worry about the hours thing though if it runs fine and oil looks good even black its fine. These things we suspect will run 3000-4000 hours if taken care of maybe longer.

Watch your radiator screen if you have one, these tractors plug up easy with seed and seed fluffies and will run hot after awhile with a plugged screen. This is where the blown head gaskets and running issues come from. With a clear screen adn radiator you can cut as long as you want even in 95F heat.

/ Purchasing a YM2500
I did not think to take pictures! I just left his house. Unfortunately I did not get to mow with it(possibly sunday) but we cranked it and I looked over it pretty closely.

First think i noticed was oil on the valve cover around the middle injector. Then I seen the container missing a cap and had a dirt dabber nest inside. I think this is some kind of colt start that holds diesel. It still cranked and ran fine, however. He said sometimes it looses water, but he could not see where it was going. Looking at the radiator you can see some rust so I'm betting there. He had it patched once before.

The mower is in excellent shape.

The linkage and joints on the FEL are mostly pretty loose.

He said it use to have a lot of blow by coming out of the tube on the front right side. But for some reason stopped one day.

Clemsonfor, thanks for all the info. When I was talking about the tires I was referring to when the FEL has a lot of weight. The ground stays pretty soft where I live and those skinny tires will sink and I can only imagine be hard to turn.
With the paint, the entire tractor is green. I seen some spots that showed it was previously red.

I am prepared to replace the head gasket if I think it is blown. That is no big deal. I guess there is a decent chance of it being since the radiator leaks. Also the summer days here average 100-105 F.

Thanks for the help and I will update with pics when I can. Hopefully someone can tell me if the FEL is home made or not.

/ Purchasing a YM2500 #9  
Well it will un in 100f just the same. I bet its the radiator has a crack, they just used water i think in japan and drained in winter from what i have heard. My refurb came with a cracked radiator. They pulled one out of another on the lot and gave to me to swap. I put it in and it to had a crack somewhere!!! Then they ordered me a brand new one. So i thing cracks in the tank are common on these.

Maybe run a wire or something up the blowby and see if a dirt dauber got in the hose? They get in my boat pee hole all the time!! This would cause excess pressure in the crankcase and cause it to blow the vavle cover gasket which i dont think seals terribly tight. It has a reuseable rubber gasket under the valve cover.

That container is used to fill with deisel. There is a warmer in the throat of the intake which heats that fuel up to help it start on cold days. I have one but i never fill with deisel or use it and the only time i needed multiple starts was when it was in the upper 30s at dawn one mourning. Every other time i spinn it up with the compression release till oil light is off then slam it shut and it fires off first time.