ym226d hydraulic issues?

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
Awhile back I started a thread about acquiring a ym226d...the loader on it has always been a little slow compared to my other yanmars..but since we are getting some morning weather in the 30's these last few weeks I may have a issue...

When I fired her up the other morning..I had to let it run a good 20minutes before the loader would lift..even then raising it was brutally slow...as I continue to run/work it ..it somewhat gets usable but still slow...during the warmup phase the pump sounds like its really loud...I can see the fluid being cold and having to warm for optimal operation but for it not to move an inch for 20 minutes something isn't right..

Pump bad? How to check?

What else would cause this?

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #2  
Probably have to install a hyd pressure gauge to see how much PSI the pump is making

/ ym226d hydraulic issues?
OK..where do you generally install it at? Can these pumps be rebuilt or only option is to buy new?

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #4  
installed on an hp port somewhere T etc,.I believe car doc and Winston have installed gauges on their tractors to find out pressure and or relief pressure... From what I have read & understand,They are gears that mess with each other. Much like an oil pump in an auto, Doubt they can be rebuilt

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #5  
Awhile back I started a thread about acquiring a ym226d...the loader on it has always been a little slow compared to my other yanmars..but since we are getting some morning weather in the 30's these last few weeks I may have a issue...

When I fired her up the other morning..I had to let it run a good 20minutes before the loader would lift..even then raising it was brutally slow...as I continue to run/work it ..it somewhat gets usable but still slow...during the warmup phase the pump sounds like its really loud...I can see the fluid being cold and having to warm for optimal operation but for it not to move an inch for 20 minutes something isn't right..

Pump bad? How to check?

What else would cause this?

How fast does the 3 point operate and will it pick up a load?

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #6  
I was thinking the same thing. If its to weak to lift a loader i would not think the 3pt would pick up more than a few hundred pounds?

And as the fluid would warm its lifing ability would decrease as the fluid is thinner i would think. It would flow faster though.

I think you have a restriction or a bad valve from your description. I am not a Hydro expert nor do i have a loader but i understand how they work (basically) and with the same pump supplying oer to the loader as awell as the 3pt you would not be able to lift anything in that period either more than a few hundred pounds.

correct, the 3 point lift is same deal..wont budge until it warms. If you recall it struggled to lift my heavy disc harrow, it surged..but would do it..now that its cold it has to warm atleast 20 minutes...either the pump is weak, or maybe the hydro external filter is restricting? I recently flushed the hydro fluid and cleaned internal screen, did find some metal shaving on the internal screen...maybe hydro pump gears? I would like to confirm its the pump before throwing money at it..

as far as picking up a load...once it warms, it lifts the 3 point implements fine and the bucket has good down pressure and no problems lifting a bucket of gravel, its just slow to lift, always has been..but when cold does not lift at ALL.

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #8  
Stupid question I guess, but you do have transmission/hydraulic fluid in the reservoir? Did you change the spin on filter at the same time you cleaned the screen? Are you confident it is the right spin on filter. I have read from Aaron with Hoye about some that the microns or flow is not large enough and causing your problem. The Yanmar part number for your filter is 194464-48310. Lot of crossovers out there but I sometimes don't have confidence in some of those.

Yes i am using the correct fluid..fluid level in reservoir is ok..no I did not replace the external spin on filter yet, it was put on by the guy I purchased it from, it appeared new, he said it was, so I haven't (I know, shame on me)..I sure hope its that simple. looks like a NAPA filter is on it, but I have no idea if its the proper one..guess the easiest thing to try would be a new spin on.

What is everyone using besides the yanmar filter?

Could it be the loader valve? if yes, would the loader valve affect the 3 point?

/ ym226d hydraulic issues? #10  
It may be as simple as changing to a better fluid for the climate.

You say you have the right fluid, but is it right for your climate.

Warm thin fluid is just as bad.

Some of my equipment uses 10W-30 as the hyd fluid.

My Power-Trac is all hyd, even the wheel motors, and has three pumps and uses 10W-30 motor oil.

You do need to check the pressure when cold and when hot, and maybe a flow test to see if the pump is putting out the proper flow.

A very small micron filter may filter crud really fast and then block flow to some degree.

Should have very little back pressure in the system.

With the loader valve in neutral, the flow just passes through it to the other valves.

You should get the same GPM pumped through all valves.