Small Hole in Radiator

/ Small Hole in Radiator #1  

Markey

Bronze Member
While mowing, I noticed sparks shooting out from the front-left engine vent near the battery. After opening the hood on my 186D, I noticed that the battery had tilted against the radiator screen and was shorting against it. That was what was causing the sparks. One of the rods that secures the battery clamp broke loose, causing the battery to tilt against the radiator screen. The positive post
melted a hole the size of a quarter in the screen. I also noticed that either the force of impact against the radiator or the heat from the positive post, caused a small hole in the radiator. The radiator was shooting out liquid like a very small water squirt gun (pinhole size). Beside removing the entire radiator and taking it to a radiator shop for repair, is there an easier way to plug the small hole that will also be a permanent repair? Thank you.

Marc

/ Small Hole in Radiator #2  
Drain the radiator, clean the area and solder it with a "Bernzamatic" torch as if it were a copper waterpipe. Good as new.

/ Small Hole in Radiator #3  
I second Norm's advice. Drain it.. lightly sand it with ultra fine paper.. or use a small brass/steel brush to clean it up.. and solder with a propane or mapp gas hand torch. A paste style flux cleaner will help out. 50/50 solder is a good option.

Soundguy

/ Small Hole in Radiator
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the excellent repair advice. It sealed up perfectly on my first attempt. The only additional thing I did was to place a wet rag behind the radiator and between the plastic fan blade. While soldering with the torch, I did not want to cook the blade or any near-by hoses. Once again, thanks bunches!

Markey