Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture)

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #1  

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I have an intermittent coolant leak on my tractor. I first noticed a few small drips of coolant on the ground underneath when parked which prompted me to look where it was coming from. I could not locate the source. Then yesterday, while I was running it, I noticed coolant spraying from the left side. I took off the panel but it had stopped. All I could find was a slow drip on this part here which a small hose runs to. What is this part?

20131029_160149.jpg

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #2  
Is it midway along a small hose between the radiator and the block? I think that is the drain to empty both the block and the radiator, for freeze protection when the tractor is parked all winter (in Japan).

Replacing that hose should be simple. On mine I found the cap on the bottom was tightened with extreme force - because the o-ring that should be under the cap was missing.

So long as the leak isn't coming from the radiator tank and dribbling down to where you picture it, replacing the hose or maybe just tightening clamps will fix it. No big deal.

Capture, strain, and filter the coolant for re-use when you open that drain fitting. With water pump its a little over a gallon, for a 1700 maybe less than a gallon.

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture)
Well, my radiator just gave out today. I'm not having any luck with this tractor whatsoever. Between all the flat tires and now this, I can't keep it running for more than a day or two. I wasn't even running it hard and I started to smell coolant, then I saw steam coming off the exhaust. I idled down and popped the hood to find the fan blowing coolant all over. I heard some hissing, and there appears to be a crack in the radiator near the top where I saw coolant bubbling out of a seam. I guess I'll order a radiator and might as well put on new upper and lower radiator hoses, and the little draincock hose, too.

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #4  
Hey, if you are pulling the RAD out to replace, get a new belt since there is ample room to do the swap. :)

Hey, if you are pulling the RAD out to replace, get a new belt since there is ample room to do the swap. :)

Good idea. Hey, it's only money. Pretty soon I'll have $10k into this little turd and I'll really wish I had purchased a Kubota. :(

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #6  
Pretty soon I'll have $10k into this little turd and I'll really wish I had purchased a Kubota. :(
It's not the tractor brand, its the neglect of the prior owner you are having to remedy. Yanmars (or Kubotas) don't have problems like you are encountering when they are maintained.

Or maybe you really believe if you buy a Kubota it will get fewer flat tires???? Uh ... ok........ :D

It's not the tractor brand, its the neglect of the prior owner you are having to remedy. Yanmars (or Kubotas) don't have problems like you are encountering when they are maintained.

Or maybe you really believe if you buy a Kubota it will get fewer flat tires???? Uh ... ok........ :D

I think the radiator failure is actually due to age rather than neglect. The tires were obviously in need of replacement when I bought it. I knew that, and it's my own fault for not replacing them right away. I foolishly listened to the previous owner who stated they had "years left" when I questioned their condition and he mentioned they had been like that for years. I'm just grumpy because I cannot seem to use this thing for any length of time without working on it. I hate waiting for parts. I bought 5 gallons of trans/hydraulic fluid today because I plan on changing it soon, when I do an oil change. I've got all my filters and things ready. Guess I'll take this time to replace all the fluids as well.

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #8  
Good idea. Hey, it's only money. Pretty soon I'll have $10k into this little turd and I'll really wish I had purchased a Kubota. :(

Well, I would agree 100% about maintenance. The previous owner must have been a fool to think that nothing other than fuel was needed. Sorry that you got a dud due to the bad care. I actually inherited a John Deere 850 that was so messed up, the engine blew. The tires were badly cracked and the steering took 16-inches of travel before the wheels would turn. Otherwise, haha, the tractor seemed alright. Fredricks Equipment helped out with the JD as a trade-in for basically the same tractor. Same Yanmar 3T80 engine and size. The only difference is the Power-shift. LOVE IT!

I had noticed my neighbor about 1/2-mile up the clear rolling hill was mowing. It looked like a Yanmar. I'll have to visit to inquire.

The Yanmars will run strong for a loooong time. Just ensure the engine will not overheat; check the coolant level, keep the air filter clean, monitor the oil level (if hot summer over 90F use SAE30) and the RAD blown out with an airhose (or a leaf blower :thumbsup: )

I ordered a new radiator, upper and lower hoses, petcock hose, belt, temp gauge kit, operators manual, service manual, and a head gasket just in case. I don't think there's a head gasket issue, but my luck is not always great.

/ Intermittent coolant leak- what's this? (Picture) #10  
Smart idea on the head gasket. If you are daring to remove the head, clean the insides and look for any cracks in the head. A cracked head is a result of the previous owner on drugs. (ok a wierd pun, but funny otherwise considering your tractor condition haha)