Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out,

/ Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out, #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
As most all of you know back when I got my Ym1700 4 years ago, I had installed a FEL shrtly there after, although before doing so I made sure to reinforce the tractor in all crucial area's of concern, However! the one area i could not reinforce was the front end,
Namely: (The spindles)....... Well last month the inevitable happened, Yes! one of the spindles snapped off, I knew it was only a matter of time and it had surpassed its expectancy by lasting almost 4 years, I probably could have gotten more time from it had I not overloaded it at times, when it broke I was lucky to have only had the loader bucket a few inches from the ground, ( is usually the way I move a load,) It was a heaping bucket full of red clay/dirt, I had moved about 20 loades back filliing a wash-out behind my shop, moving the loads approx. 75ft. as I said with bucket only a few inches from the ground, The scary part for me to think about is when having to lift the bucket 8ft to drop the dirt in order for the large cloges to bust when hitting the ground, What if the spindle had of broke at this time??:shocked: even at just a few inches from the ground when it broke the wheel shot out away from the tractor 8-10 ft. I only notice a minor jolt as the bucket hit the ground, I'm thinking wouldn't have been so minor had the bucket been 8ft high and loaded,

Anyway! moving on to the repairs... So at this time I could not afford to replace the spindle with the so-called heavy duty ones, and when I could afford to do so I wanted to replace both at one time, which would cost estimated $400 . My next option was atleast get my tractor back to where I could use it, So I order the direct replacement, (standard duty) and would simply not use the front loader as I had been doing, So I installed the new spindle and all went well, while the tractor was down for 2 weeks I had gotten behind on some of my choirs, we have many apple and pear tree's around that I needed to gather up the dropped ones on the ground, U sually take them back to the rear of our property approx 1000 ft. of travel I take them back to let the deer have them,

On the first use of the tractor I was paying close attention to the new spindle being careful, actually I was more concerned about the other old spindle perhaps it had weakend as well, so I was to be sure NOT to overload the bucket, I figured a loade of apples might weigh 125lbs at most, certainly not the weight I have subject the tractor to in the past, Likely 400-500 lbs,
on the 4th trip I notice the wheel on the new spinle look like it was closer to the tie-rod/steering-rod ball joint, I got off the tractor to make a quick comparison of the other side, I found I could slip my hand between the tire and the ball joint on the one side, on the side with the new spindle I could barely get my finger between, I had been only using the tractor about 2 1/2 to 3 hours,

yup! the New spindle had in fact bent, Not broke... and not bent at the wheel hub where the old one had broke but at the part that goes up into the axle beam tube,
( the upright part) of the spindle, Picture will show it, I shouldn't and won't go into the issue of trying to get another replacement, I'll just say the New spindles do not have as strong of quality steel as the old original 30+ year old ones do,

OK now to the point of topic, after my experience with the new spindle I don't waont to be throwing anymore of my money away if I am to expect this to happen even if I were to use the heavy duty spindles, Remeber the new spindle didn't bend at the typical area where the old ones break from, and as far as I know this has not been the area of the part that has been made stronger, With the heavier duty ones only thicker material is added at to the spindle where the hub mounts too,
And this why I'm...."Contemplating a front axle/Spindle change out" from another make of tractor, I've looked at a few tractors in the local salvage yard, with front axle's that I think I can use to build a stronger one for my Yanmar, Is anyone familiar with the fors 8 & 9 n's ? They have extendible 2 pc axles, I'm thinking if I got the part of the extendible part of the axle I could either bolt it onto my existing axle beam, or cut the ends of it and slip the one from the ford into the beam and weld it together,

I have pictures of 2 different tractor applications, But I need to transfer from my cellphone to computer before I can post them,
Now if theres a good chance of making this work I can score oneof these axles for 100.00 hub to hub,
any input good or bad?
Thanks

/ Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out,
Picture of the new bent spindle, and the axle's I'm thinking about,

Attachments

• Img_1096.jpg
    Img_1096.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 234
  • CAM00076.jpg
    CAM00076.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 200
  • CAM00077.jpg
    CAM00077.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 175
  • CAM00078.jpg
    CAM00078.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 186
  • CAM00081.jpg
    CAM00081.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 176
   / Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out, #3  
No opinion on your spindle swap, but it appears that your front wheels are either non-standard width or are reversed, in either case extending way out past your spindles, probably causing your underlying problem.

/ Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out, #4  
FWIW - my US YM240 came with the factory option HD, adjustable width front axle. They probably called it 'loader ready'. I'm pretty sure this is simply the standard axle for a larger Yanmar.

You might look for an axle off a larger Yanmar or Yanmar-built Deere. Shipping might be expensive but if it fits right up to your existing crossmember mount and steering, this would save a lot of custom fitup. And the appearance would preserve resale value compared to an obvious combination.

FWIW - my US YM240 came with the factory option HD, adjustable width front axle. They probably called it 'loader ready'. I'm pretty sure this is simply the standard axle for a larger Yanmar.

You might look for an axle off a larger Yanmar or Yanmar-built Deere. Shipping might be expensive but if it fits right up to your existing crossmember mount and steering, this would save a lot of custom fitup. And the appearance would preserve resale value compared to an obvious combination.

Actually is a good Idea.... I could put a search out for a larger Yanmar tractor front axle, But I am on a budget, No real hurry as I have repaired the new spindle by heating and straighten it, I have removed the FEL until I can build/buy a stronger axle,

I've been thinking about the Value aspect of my tractor when after making improvements to it, I know most of us folks who have our yanmar think of these tractors as some sort of vintage coin collection, and are afraid to do anything to them that might effect it's original market value, ( Hmmm! Classic value:confused:) really:cool: 4 years ago I didn't pay a "classic value" I paid a lower than market value, and is the main reason for buying it, along with yanmar's reputation of having built a good tractor, I certainly didn't buy it with intention of only restoring it to look at. which brings me to my point, Why should we be concerned to maintain what is only going to be nothing more than a market value on our tractors? and we certainly arn't going to see any classic value on them over here in the US, Heck! even the Jap's don't keep up with any vintage value, This is evident, just look at the price their selling them to us for,....

If I make improvements to my tractor, How could it be looked at as of lesser value? I mean we do this all the time to cars and trucks, Improve them to our needs/want's . Look at how people have taken the old classic '57 chevy and hot-rod it up, changing out to modern suspentions, and hi-torque engines, etc,etc, actually setting the car up to where it can be used in todays modern driving, yes it could have been retored to an all original '57 of it's time, to be driven on old dirt roads at 35 mph, and perhaps have more of a monetary value to a collector, But thats not me... Personally I'de rather have the money one like that is worth then to have a car like that, How much depreciation value does a '57 chevy recieve by improving upon it, Verses the appreciation value it gets by actually having a car that can be driven? who cares! I want to be able to drive it along side of modern day cars, Not just the prestige of having it to look at;)

Same with my tractor, I'll one day have it the way I can use it in the way to perform the task I do, actually I'm almost there now, Just got to get the front axle built-up and I'll have the toughest ym1700 around:D

/ Contemplating a front axle /spindle change out, #7  
I agree with your thinking. I make changes on mine thinking it makes it better in some way. I may be taking away from the originality but in my mind it is adding more value. I'm certainly not making changes thinking about a future selling price. Never divulged it before but I actually shortened my gear shift handle just because is seemed to be in my way when getting on and off. Not sure it really helped but don't think it hurt anything either.