Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar FX24D

Default FX24D throttle friction

The previous owner cobbled together the throttle assembly. I will try to post some photos tomorrow. The throttle is held closed by a spring attached at the throttle valve and then on the hose clamp on the fuel line from the injector pump to the fuel tank. The throttle does not stay in place. I assume there is supposed to be a friction place somewhere in the throttle controls, but I think it was removed.

Can you describe what it should look like, or do you have a photo or drawing of the throttle assembly (specifically the friction mechanism)?

Thanks!

On a separate note: what is the best way to clean the fuse box? Mine is full of brown fuzzy gunk that does not wipe out easily.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Default Re: FX24D throttle friction

I will attach the page out of the parts manual. The friction washer is #7. The assembly has double lock nuts #12. I remember GW's was pretty much stuck but with a little penetrating oil and working it started working pretty good. Not real easy to access this assembly but I'll be suprised if it isn't on yours. A little hard to find. I'm sure you know the hand throttle is what utilizes the friction plate and the foot throttle just releases it back to where the hand throttle is set. Not sure I'm making sense.

How about removing the fuses and using a small delicate wire brush in combination with a contact cleaner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -scan0005-jpg  

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

I made a friction disc from sheet rubber, I think the variety intended for a tire patch. That was a mistake. It got gummy and sticky and oiling it didn't help.

Then I made one from synthetic rubber gasket material. (Butyl??). This has been in service a year and works just like the original one did - before it split and worked its way out.

Tractor
    Yanmar FX24D

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I made a friction disc from sheet rubber, I think the variety intended for a tire patch. That was a mistake. It got gummy and sticky and oiling it didn't help.

Then I made one from synthetic rubber gasket material. (Butyl??). This has been in service a year and works just like the original one did - before it split and worked its way out.
    I saw that you made one when I searched the previous posts. Did you buy the material, or did you source it from your home inventory?

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by bacrow View Post
    I saw that you made one when I searched the previous posts. Did you buy the material, or did you source it from your home inventory?
    Stuff I already had - for years. I don't recall the origin or precise description.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post

My yanmar recon had rubber from an innertube as the friction thing when i bought it. This was straight from VN. It never worked, i fought with it all the time and the 2 jamb nuts.

I bought more nuts taht were not painted over and got the correct friction disks from Hoye on an order i made one time and have not had trouble with it since, other than the nuts vibrating loose once or twice in the last few years.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar FX24D

Quote Originally Posted by winston1 View Post
    I will attach the page out of the parts manual. The friction washer is #7. The assembly has double lock nuts #12. Not real easy to access this assembly but I'll be suprised if it isn't on yours. A little hard to find. I'm sure you know the hand throttle is what utilizes the friction plate and the foot throttle just releases it back to where the hand throttle is set. Not sure I'm making sense.
    I opened it up to take a look. I am missing the double lock nuts. Do you have any idea of the size of the nut?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quote Originally Posted by bacrow View Post
    I opened it up to take a look. I am missing the double lock nuts. Do you have any idea of the size of the nut?
    The size is indicated on the parts list. 12mm. However, it does not give the pitch. That part number crosses over to this steering wheel nut but it doesn't show pitch either. I find it interesting Hoye sells this nut for 96 cents and some sights are selling it for nearly $10. Sort of like price gouging. Having said all that you could most likely look at the threads closely or measure them and determine the pitch. Then most likely buy it at Tractor Supply or a Hardware store. Yanmar Tractor Parts: STEERING WHEEL NUT _

Tractor
    Yanmar FX24D

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the 12 was a size or just some other reference. My other method was to try all of the standard nuts that I had in inventory and guess at the metric size in between the one that was too big, and the one that was too small.

I have had the best luck for metric hardware at the local Ace Hardware store. The big box stores don't have much metric selection, I don't have a Tractor Supply nearby, and the other farm supply stores don't have as good a selection. I will try there before I spend a buck plus shipping for a little nut from Hoye.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

I used a half inch nut in a pinch, coarse thread. Didn't tighten too much. I think its 12 coarse but go to a nit place where they sell thepound like TSC and just get one of each type
    ,don't just ship the nut unless your ordering other stuff. I'm not sure if I got mime at hour or local? If I for hoye nuts they were thrown in on another order. I think I just got them at car quest. There a standard metric nut nothing special! .
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast