YM 155 Decompression issues

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #1  

NCacres

Tractor
Kubota L2350
Hi . I just bought a YM 155 about 6 months ago. bought it real cheap, knowing it needed a few things fixed. I really enjoy the little tractor and have used it a lot on a brushhog and blade. I've been on here alot, and you guys have been a godsend. I really appreciate the help and knowledge on this site. Have been getting parts from Hoyle and they are helpful. I now have come up against a problem i need some help on. My decompression does not work. I know it is a needed item but it hasent been a problem yet. It started fine untill the temp got down below 25 deg. Now i need the decompression. The decomp rods do not touch the rockers like they are supposed to. My question is, Is there spacers that go on top of the valve stems to lift the rockers up, allowing the decomp rods to touch? thanks

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #2  
I have a generic I&T manual that is supposed to cover the older US Yanmars from the 135 through the 330. Under the "Valve Clearance Adjustment" section it says to adjust the clearance on the lever by removing the small covers atop the rocker arm cover. Then, with the crankshaft positioning cylinder 1 at TDC, it says to activate the compression release fully, then loosen the locknut on the screw under that small cover. Then adjust the screw until it contacts the valve but does not move the valve. Next, turn the screw one full turn inward and tighten the locknut. Turn the crankshaft 180 degrees and repeat the process on the number 2 cylinder.

Having said that, it only says that this is for 195, 240, and 330 models. There is no process covered for the other models, but I don't see why they wouldn't be similar/identical. It does specify valve clearances, 0.2mm/ 0.008 inches; this is slightly different than the other models.

Were the tractor mine, I'd follow the procedure listed above, and perhaps try it at 3/4 of a turn in, then adjust if needed.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues
There is no adjustment on the compression release. It is built into the valve cover.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #4  
Note the head parts drawings attached. http://www.partsandservice.com/index.html#home Note part #36. The list is calling it a retainer. I believe that is a mistake. It should be called a valve cap and is on all other Yanmar drawings I have seen.

Only pointing this out to make sure your valve caps are in place. If not, your rocker arms would be way down causing your release to not make contact. Make sense?

Sending you a pm.

The copy over of the parts list didn't do just right. However, if you work with it you can bring up all the parts drawings of the 155 tractor or engine.

And welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Copied over the parts list a little different, maybe make it easier to access. :confused3:

Last edited:
   / YM 155 Decompression issues
I had seen the "retainer" in the only drawing I had found. My tractor does not have these.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #7  
I have the same motor and I took the caps or retainers off when I did a valve job. I guess I should say they wouldn't stay on. My decom works without them There is no adjustment that I remember. The only thing that I would check is the thickness of the gasket or wear of the cam that push's down on the rocker arm and they turn inside the cover.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #8  
One last point: Yanmar designates #1 cylinder as the cylinder nearest the flywheel.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #9  
I have the same motor and I took the caps or retainers off when I did a valve job. I guess I should say they wouldn't stay on. My decom works without them There is no adjustment that I remember. The only thing that I would check is the thickness of the gasket or wear of the cam that push's down on the rocker arm and they turn inside the cover.

Curious here. These caps fit over the valve stem, much more than .008". If the valves are adjusted correctly I fail to see how they could come off.

/ YM 155 Decompression issues #10  
Winston the new valve was tapered on top, not flat. When I rotated the motor by hand the caps hit the keepers I knew I had the wrong valves, I needed the ones without a radius on the top. Wrong! yes but I went with it. Adjusted valves to .007 instead of .0078. I have around 300 hrs on it and no trouble that I know of.
135-155_03_15.gif

Last edited: