YM1500

/ YM1500 #1  

matt_1500

Tractor
YM1500
Finally stepped out of the dark ages and traded in, actually hauled to the dump, my Craftsman. What a difference the little diesel 1500 makes. I was uneasy seeing how they were both appx. the same horsepower but WOW. Could not be happier.

Is there any really good place to get parts for this from, should I ever need any? I see a lot of dealers on the web but cant really tell much about them. Or are they all about the same? I know that parts are not that easy to get for it but they are available from what I have heard. What about a set of manuals for this- service, owners, parts? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

-matt

/ YM1500 #2  
Congratulations. The 1500 is a good machine. You can get parts manuals (in Japanese) and parts from dealers on this forum. I am told that owners manuals for similar tractors, but not the grey market models, are available.

I think a different definition of horsepower is used in the lawn tractor business. The same thing occurs often in other consumer products. Someone once told me about his 3 horsepower trolling motor that operated on a 12V battery. That can't be done under practical conditions.

As for dealers, I have been happy with the ones in this forum that I have dealt with.

Good luck.

reb

/ YM1500 #3  
Matt,

Congrats!!! They are, indeed, great little tractors. Yes, parts are available and there are a couple of dealers that frequent this board... and they are ultra-helpful. Not only with getting parts, but giving suggestions and helping diagnose problems.

I knew nothing about greys, but started hangin' out in here doing tons of reading before I bought my 1500. Learned a ton. ...and, I got most of my questions answered without even posting a message. Still read through here everyday.

My initial advice would be this:
don't go over 25% anti-freeze in your coolant, keep your radiator clean, keep your filters and screens clean and in place, don't over-tighten your fueltank cap /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, and read here often. These are a great bunch of folks.
(thanks all) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Happy tractoring,
Jake

/ YM1500 #4  
There was a thread a while back about hp claims. Seems most lawnmower / small gas engine makers use the hp rating that is them max output of the engine at a rpm just under the 'fly apart' rpm. It was also mentioned that this wasn't a practical 'sustained' output hp.. i.e. that deriving that hp from that engine will lead to an early retirement for the engine.. where tractor engines are using a 'rated' hp.. i.e., one that they are designed to be used at, in service, regularly... like pto rpm, or something simialr.. etc.

Can't remember where the thread popped up.. but was a pretty decent one.. perhaps a search would turn it up.

Was pretty much the same thing my neighbor learned... we tried a half-serious tug of war / iron man competition with his brand new 24 hp huskee and my 1979 ym1700... 21/17 hp.. etc.. We easd our clutches out, then I was off, dragging him around his pasture effortlessly. For one, the few hundred pound weight of a lawnmower makes useless much of the hp it generates as it can't get it to the ground. Still usefull for the belly mower though. And those anemic tires they put on them... couldn't get traction with those on a hot asphalt track...

Soundguy

/ YM1500
Thanks for all of the replies! I emailed a dealer I found listed in another post about some parts I need. Mostly cosmetic stuff. Two questions though-

1) what is the knob under the seat-

2) cold weather is coming on- do these tractors have problems with the diesel turning to jell like my trucks used to in freezing temperatures? If so what do you use?

/ YM1500 #6  
Generally the knob under the seat controlls the fall rate of the 3pt hitch.. closing it completely more or less locks the 3pt up.. ( unless there are problems in the system ).

As for gelled fuel... there was a huge argument ...er.. discussion over in the lubricant/fuel sub a week ago about anti-gell and other addatives. It got pretty nasty.. but I'll tell ya what I use, and you can make your own decisions... Power service.. deisel fuel treatment. they have one to clean the injector, and anti-gell, etc..

good luck,

Soundguy

/ YM1500 #7  
Soundguy, I don't want to argue with you, but I believe the round knob under the seat is suppose lock the 3 point, when turned all the way one way. And there is a little L shaped lever back of it to ajust the speed of the 3 point, right?????

/ YM1500
I Just did a little tinkering and it seems like both will shut off the three point completely. I just didnt want to turn it without knowing what it was. May be an ejection seat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found a translated owner's manual on Ebay for the 1500. Are those any good? Already bought one so it doesn't really matter I guess. Just curious. I found more than enough info about the freezing diesel. Guess I need to be using the search button a little more.

Thanks for all the help.

/ YM1500 #10  
The Manual you refer to is from Hoye. He has been very helpful to me and good to deal with. Fredricks has a very good supply of hard to find parts also. Both are top knotch.
Oh! Can't forget Len either. He's an old head with more info than you will ever need.