1500D Wiring

/ 1500D Wiring #1  

JAY34

Tractor
Yanmar 1500d
I just purchased a Yanmar 1500d. Its been a great tractor so far (4 weeks). I have a couple of wiring questions. The I&T manual was no help. The first, i have a green wire coming out of the steering colum under the dash. It has a male barrel connector on the end and I cannot seem to find where it goes. any ideas??? The next, I have a, what looks to be a newer voltage regulator, and the black wire coming out of it is not landed anywhere. Should this go to ground?? And the last is, I have no lights, If i take a wire from the hot of the battery and land it on the hot side of the fuse box they work, does this mean I have a bad ignition switch?

I know I was long winded. Thanks for any help. The board has been great.

Jay

/ 1500D Wiring #2  
<font color="green">Howdy Jay. Based on most of the wiring madness I found on my 1500D when I bought it, all I can say is that alot can happen to tractor wiring over 25 years. But my 1500D has been one tough little tractor and I've found most of my experience to be one of satisfaction. Go easy with the clutch in 4WD if you're bumping a loader/back blade into a stump or other solid object. There are some spindle shafts and grears in the outer drive housings on these tractors that can be very difficult and <font color="red">expensive</font> to find. Since I've fixed mine I've had no further problems, and I haven't gone easy on her by any measure. Just don't tweak the clutch too hard while on suface terrain that won't 'give' to the tires easily in 4WD.

Regarding your questions:

Green wire could be coming from instrument cluster to: horn, temp sensor, tachometer/hour guage, or oil pressure/ignition. If it's not coming from the instrument cluster -but actually coming down the steering column shaft then who knows. On an old tractor I wouldn't make too many assumptions about what you may find regarding wire color coding coordination. Anything goes when comes to the ol' shadetree toolbox.

For the voltage regulator, I'm wondering what wires you DO have connected and to what? How many/where? Does the unconnected wire have a terminated end that looks like it once was actually attached to something dirty and old or is it still clean and shiny new?

My lights work regardless of the ignition switch position. That's the way I found them -stock or modified Lord knows. I'd check your light switch if you have a continuity meter or run a test wire from battery to the feed side of the switch. If the light switch is good, then just run a permanent + lead to it and remember to turn your lights off when you shut down the machine. As long as the ignition switch runs the starter I'd do your own deal on the lighting side of things.

Good Luck!

BillyBob
</font>

/ 1500D Wiring #3  
The green wire, I think, is for a horn button on the steering wheel, which the 1500 does not have. It doesn't do anything....no worries.
At least that was the way on my YM 1700.

/ 1500D Wiring #4  
Ditto on the green wire, it is for a steering wheel horn button.

I don't know what to tell you on your lights. Have you tested the light switch? Does your horn work? How about the flashers on the fender. None of those would work if your ignition switch is bad.

That black wire on your voltage reg probably has a solderless connector on the end with about a 1/4" hole right? Ground it to something. An easy place is one of the screws that hold the V.R. on the firewall.

/ 1500D Wiring
Thanks for all the feed back so far. I have some clarification..

The voltage regulator is new, still clean and bright. Going of memory (i'll verify colors tonight) it is a 4 wire regulator ((1) black, (2) blue and (1) red) the black wire has no end on it. It is just stripped back about 1/8" and tinned. The (2) blues and (1) red are landed.

When I put a hot lead from the battery to the hot side of the fuse block all my lights/horn work. This tells me (i'm thinking my ignition switch is bad) No power through the switch. The funny thing is I get continuity between all 3 poles on the back of the ignition switch all the time? Can that/should that be?? Is the housing of the switch, touching the hole in the dash causing me to always get continuity? With that being said.. I would think I would get power all the time? The switch does start the tractor. So the spring loaded start position of the switch works. The "ON" is the question. How can I verify that it is working? I hate to spend xx number of dollars if not needed. (I thought by checking continuity between the poles was the ticket) But when I have continuty all the time... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm stumped or am I stupid!!??

Thanks Jay

/ 1500D Wiring #6  
"The funny thing is I get continuity between all 3 poles on the back of the ignition switch all the time?"
Are you reading "ground" or +12.6v at those points?

/ 1500D Wiring
Thanks for all the help and comments!!

The light problem turned out to be the ignition switch. I removed it sprayed some cleaner in it and tapped it with a hammer and boom! it works!! (trusty old hammer!!!)

The regulator.. I attached a picture. (1) red wire (2) blue wires, (1) black, you can see the end of the black wire. I grounded it. I hope it was the right thing to do. It hasn't made a difference.

Comments??

Thanks again .. Jay

I'm having trouble attaching the picture.. it will follow...