Thermostart operation?

/ Thermostart operation? #1  

Ginormous

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210
So, what is the proper way to operate the thermostart? I filled the little cup with fuel. How long do I turn the key to the left, until I hear something or smell smoke? Thanks!

Cheers,
G

/ Thermostart operation? #2  
So, what is the proper way to operate the thermostart? I filled the little cup with fuel. How long do I turn the key to the left, until I hear something or smell smoke? Thanks!

Cheers,
G

Guess you have seen this? Yanmar Tractor Thermostart Plug I have never really timed it but I am guessing I hold mine for about 15 seconds, maybe a little longer. My thinking is it takes a little time for ignition and to actually warm the air. This is just the way I do it, not saying it is the correct way.

/ Thermostart operation?
Hey Winston,
Yep, I actually just saw it again on Hoye's site, looking at what they had as far as heaters. That's what prompted my question. I was probably too conservative using mine, which may be part of why I had such a hard time starting my tractor. I waited about 10 seconds not wanting to burn it out. I didn't know what to listen for etc. Do you just do it by time then?

Guess you have seen this? Yanmar Tractor Thermostart Plug I have never really timed it but I am guessing I hold mine for about 15 seconds, maybe a little longer. My thinking is it takes a little time for ignition and to actually warm the air. This is just the way I do it, not saying it is the correct way.

/ Thermostart operation? #4  
Just did a little reading in an I&T shop manual for several models. It states the inner coil should glow red after about five seconds. After ten seconds, burning fuel should beginto drip from plug. No more detail about how long to hold it.

Went on to read in a ym194/240 operation manual to hold it 10 to 15 seconds.

/ Thermostart operation? #5  
Just did a little reading in an I&T shop manual for several models. It states the inner coil should glow red after about five seconds. After ten seconds, burning fuel should begin to drip from plug. No more detail about how long to hold it.

Went on to read in a ym194/240 operation manual to hold it 10 to 15 seconds.
Ginormous, take off the air cleaner cover and watch the steps that Winston described. I sometimes hear a faint 'poof' as the fuel ignites, after 12~15 seconds.

But I think letting it burn and warm the manifold is needed only for extreme cold. Most of the time here (mild climate) the vaporized fuel going into the cylinders is all it needs to fire off. This vapor will ignite easier under compression compared to sprayed fuel from the injectors.

Don't worry about burning out the TS module. They seem to last several years and aren't expensive.

If starting is still difficult, try a hair dryer warming the intake side of the head for 10 minutes, then aimed into the intake while cranking. Your baby will think its a nice warm day.

This all assumes reasonable cranking speed provided by a good battery and suitable winter oil. If winter cranking is too sluggish to fire, then you need a block heater, battery heater, and/or a warm shed as additional steps.

I assume also that you are getting the engine spinning with the compression released, then dropping the compression lever, so that crankshaft inertia assists the starter.

/ Thermostart operation? #6  
And if all that doesn't restore reliable starting ...

I put a $100 ebay starter intended for a larger Yanmar on my YM240. (same engine as your YM2210). It cranks hyper fast. This thing could wake the dead (diesel engine). :D

Here's an old post where I described it. I see that was in response to your YM1700. Maybe swap that starter over to the YM2210?

/ Thermostart operation?
Hey California,

I put a $100 ebay starter intended for a larger Yanmar on my YM240. (same engine as your YM2210). It cranks hyper fast. This thing could wake the dead (diesel engine). :D
Here's an old post where I described it. I see that was in response to your YM1700. Maybe swap that starter over to the YM2210?

Yes, I did put that same starter on my YM1700 -- the original starter was in bad shape. As you say, the new starter fit great and spun the engine fast. :thumbsup: I sold that tractor after I bought the newly refurbished YM2210 from Fredricks, which was part of the agreement I had with my wife about buying a new one... I suspect most of my problem is poor technique, probably made worse by a weak battery. Looks like I'll be trying to start it up again today (24 F right now) after getting more snow last night and colder temps on the way.

G

/ Thermostart operation?
Starting my tractor went better yesterday than a couple weeks ago when I tried. I only drained the battery once. I held the thermostart longer this time and did hear the the *poof* of the fuel igniting and could feel the side of the block was warm. I still think I need a new battery, but I may try to put it off until fall.

G

/ Thermostart operation? #9  
Hey there, I just learned today that Yanmar tractors also use a thermostart system. This is the best video I have found on how to explain and show how it works http://youtu.be/wlFettLu11Q while attending a diesel tech school we tested one just like this using a brake bleeding pump to feed it diesel fuel. My 1960 Massey mf 25 also has thermostart

/ Thermostart operation? #10  
My 1960 Massey mf 25 also has thermostart
Perkins Diesel engine, no? I read that long ago Perkins and Yanmar cross-licensed some patents for their mutual benefit.

Here's the box showing Perkins' part number for a new TS. I bought this from the local ThermoKing (truck reefer) dealer. (I inquired there because those refrigeration units have Yanmar engines).

With this Perkins number you can find cross-references from all over the world.

68476d1169070962-can-i-add-thermostat-glow-dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox.jpg